World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
15,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other boat 'WhiteShark'' was launced last weekend so yesterday even though the forecast was horrible,Garry and myself decided we would just go out into the river today and try local for some early Bass.Armed with Ragworm,Crab and every other bait known to man we arrived at the marina at 8am.Steve was aboard Dominator along with his party,Paul & Andy and made us a nice cup of tea before we set off.
The problem now was that the wind seemed to be dying away but we knew it was due to get again later in the day.Did we dare to think we could get a few hours in offshore?:) Lets go for it Garry said,right I said,my boat or yours?.....No Garry said...Whiteshark!..You sure I said? Well we want to try her out dont we?....Ok lets load her up I said!
Im sure everyone else thought we were quite insane to be heading offshore in a freshening easterly wind in a 20ft boat but we know what we are doing and know our limits.
Speeding down the river at around 25knts,getting soaking wet and slamming along I began to dought my own sanity!
Soon (well about an hour) we were on the mark,not too bad at the moment with the last of the flood tide but we knew what was coming in around 2 hours when the tide turned so we had better make the most of it and see what was on this mark we had waited 3weeks to get on.
Dropping the anchor into 50ft of water the boat swung into the tide.Crab baits cast uptide were soon being smashed to pieces by small hounds and dogfish.I soon got the hump with this and changed one rod to Herring..Wham the rod went round,I thought it was Bass as the fish felt lively,It turned out to be a Codling around 3.5lb.More dogfish,then Garry had a nice Roker of 9lb,which we returned as we have enough wings in the freezers for a while.Now we had lost the tide and the boat started swinging and laying into the freshening wind.What do you reckon? I said to Garry,time to get out of here he said,Good I said,because if you never said it I was going too,I replied.A great shame really as there was a good showing of fish in the hour we were there and I knew when the ebb came then the fish would really have come on.You cannot beat the weather though and we dont put fishing before safety,there are plenty more days as and when we want them.The ride back was shall we say 'Exhilerating''in fact it was bloody awfull,spray,surfing and a tad wet! :)
Still was soon back in the marina and a couple of pints and planning the next trip!
I believe Pablo may have a picture of a little ole ''Whiteshark''surfing it's way along!

Ron

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You collecting nice boats Ron, that looks like a flying machine, lovely lines, & a big old engine to push it along, you in competition with TomBettle by any chance?:whistling:
bluskip

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well Ron, rather you than me, I had planed a day out on the Towers, but was watching the weather deteriorate with each forecast as the week progressed :unsure:

Exciting though, fast out and in:blink:

Says a lot for staying in bed an extra couple of hours,:shutup: A little bit of fiddling with the tomato plants, then a bacon sarnie, loads of brown sauce, and a couple of hours watching the Spanish Grand Prix. . . . :g: . . . I'd rather have been fishing but . . . :blink:

ET's OPO

M

·
0 Posts
Nice report and pictures Ron. I like the boat too... :)

Just been and picked up a boat for my brother this afternoon. Not sure if it the right one to go fishing from though. It's a 21ft bayliner capri.

Personally I want a 13 to 17 ft dell quay dory but Corrie wants a boat with a cuddy or cabin so she doesn't get sunburnt. I will show her your pictures and ask her how she could possibly get sunburnt on a day like today....

Malcolm.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice one Ron,
Great report and pictures.
Don't think I would have been with you, like the luxury of the cabin, Tea Toast,Bacon sarnies, pot of stew.
Going soft in my old age but on the insurance it says "Pleasure"
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh, are you gonna have fun with that machine or what, just a bit jealous or what, but fair play,good luck and great fishing to you , malc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts