World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Just joined the forum, my area at present is Althorne Essex and would like to ask if anyone here has any info about the Crouch and where the best spots are for Bass schoolies.

As an old trout angler I really want to have a go at salt water fly, your input would be much appreciated.

Rgds
Dave

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Used to fish N. Fambridge a lot. Around the point up to the left after parking. You can fish really close in when the tide is up. Characteristically, weed and boulders close in. I have seen mullet here as well as thornbacks, bass, eels. Other then that you could try getting a key from Strutt and Parker's next year, if available; and this gives you access to miles of sea wall around the entrance to the Crouch. Sure someone else will post some current info. I had a key for several years and used to do pretty well down there for bass, eels etc. Whiting and maybe odd codling in Winter.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As far as I know, the deep water channel is quite close to the South bank where I think the tide runs faster than the on the flats on the North side. People I know who have fished from boats in the Crouch have tended to hug the South bank. ( when fishing the Fambridge area )When I fished it from friends boats, we tended to go from Althorne marina and fished around Holliwell Point, between the mouth of the Roach and the mouth of the estuary. Most fishing boats I have seen, tended to fish that sort of area. I know this is slightly vague but I was really a shore angler and therefore saw them generally from the sea wall. Hope this maybe of some help and hopefully some other anglers may have more info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have noticed anglers at Holliwell Point too, another place where I've seen boats fishing is Yokesfleet near potton island.

Because we haven't had much rainfall I fancy trying my luck with the upper river marks between Black point and Landsend point, do you think it's worth a try?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yes I have noticed anglers at Holliwell Point too, another place where I've seen boats fishing is Yokesfleet near potton island.

Because we haven't had much rainfall I fancy trying my luck with the upper river marks between Black point and Landsend point, do you think it's worth a try?
I definitely think it is worth a try. We have caught thornies, bass and eels well upriver. I do remember that we sometimes found some very rough ground by mooching around with the fishfinder etc. I am sure that if you give it a go that others will appreciate how you get on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I've now got 4 types of rod on my boat, Fly for flat calms, a spinner, a short boat rod for bait and feathers and one I have cut right down for trolling with a weighted trim and spoon off the stern.

Thing is I have a sailing boat :boat: and don't want to turn her into a trawler, so I try and keep to lure fishing to reduce any mess from using baits. landing fish is easy as I use the Rex Hunt method of unhooking the fish straight to a cool box! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I nearly forgot Slashley, my boat is currently at Bridgemarsh, last Sunday whilst sipping a cup of coffee a bloody seal swam passed it with it's head poking out of the surface. Probably a good sign that fish are venturing up river!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts