World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was think myabe I would go coarse fishing in Loch Lomond this weekend (sunday) and maybe throw a few baits in the estuary at gourock/wemyss bay and on the other side, around the leven area.

does anybody know the law for fishing here, what baits, good marks etc?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi cris , couldnt tell you any marks for the estuary but i sure am jeleous about your trip to loch lomond , I love the place , i usually pike fish at Balmaha at the southern end - good luck:)

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers

thats pretty much where Im going. taking mackerel and roach dead bait for the pike, maybe float some worms too for the ruffe and so on.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
bit early for piking at loch lomond tho they will be looking for prey as its been cold ive fished it couple of time at balmaha fished off the jetti and lil bit further up as u walk over the metal bridge

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I was think myabe I would go coarse fishing in Loch Lomond this weekend (sunday) and maybe throw a few baits in the estuary at gourock/wemyss bay and on the other side, around the leven area.

i think its permit fishing only now the same as loch awe xcrisx you cant go wrong with ardlui bay as a mark i had a 28lber from here and my uncle had a 30lber from here three aprils ago wee where using lamprey and eel on the bottom and casting wobbled smelts throughout cought loads of jacks and some serious sized roach on maggots.
this link explains pricings
http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/areas/lomond/outdoors/fishing.cfm

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
To the leadhead
Hya m8
I have driven past Ardlui often but am no clear how you get access to the bay - can you advise please :)

·
Registered
667 Posts

if you fish on the leven estuary side,if you catch any sea trout you must return them , or run the risk of prosecution , the balliffs may ask you for a permit but if your fishing for flatties thats fine ,even if you have a permit you cant take a sea trout till 1st may ,

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
peter we came by boat but cant you access the bay through the marina entrance sorry i didnt think about parking my uncle knows the area better as he fishes here regular from the shore so you must be able to park somewhere

·
Registered
60 Posts

You must have some cast or a teleporter to fish loch Lomond and throw a bait in the estuary at Gourock. anyway - small codling, saithe pollock and the odd flatty at Gourock. Nowt at Wemyss bay. Flatties around the Leven area.

Cheers, Jon

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought it was pretty obvious that I was meant I would be moving to the other side and not trying to cast there.

zero out of 100 for trying to be funny.

leadhead, you dont need a permit for coarse fishing in loch lomond, not sure about loch awe. but im not going there anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
[/IMG]

·
Registered
267 Posts
was ment to be a photo of a perch caught from the canoe ,they are all over the loch ,if fishin for trout you will catch these at a rate of ten to one ,no permit needed for these or pike,i was spinning with a mep out of the canoe.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I think the permit situation on that link is left a bit vague. I do not think you need a permit to fish for coarse fish in Scotland.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
theres no need for a permit although some species are protected and must be put back in the water with as little fuss and damage as possible. I think Ruffe come under this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
theres no need for a permit although some species are protected and must be put back in the water with as little fuss and damage as possible. I think Ruffe come under this.
WITHOUT WISHING TO APPEAR RUDE, OR JUDGEMENTAL, IT IS IMPORTANT, THAT THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS ARE TAKEN ONBOARD.

YOU WILL FIND THIS QUOTED INFO TO BE WRONG, IN EVERY REGARD, OTHER THAN THE REFERENCE TO PROTECTED SPECIES, OF WHICH THE RUFFE IS CERTAINLY NOT ONE, CONSTITUTING A MAJOR MENACE TO ALL OTHER SPECIES DUE TO EXPLOSIONS IN NUMBERS, AND SEVERE EGG PREDATION UPON OTHER SPECIES.

CHECK OUT ANY SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE ON LOCH LOMOND, AND YOU WILL REALISE THE DEPTH OF FEELING DIRECTED AGAINST THE INTRODUCTION OF RUFFE TO THE CATCHMENT.

A ROD LICENCE TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT HAS BEEN INTRODUCED RECENTLY, IN ORDER TO CONTROL FISHING FOR ALL AND ANY SPECIES WITHIN THE LOCH AND SURROUNDS.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It was always the case that you DID need a permit to fish Loch Lomond even for Coarse fish, however given the Permit was free the Bailiffs didn't normally pursue the matter any further if you didn't have one.

Species wise , the Ruff as Seafarer has pointed out is anything but protected, however the Powan IS protected.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The ruffe is one of the introduced or "alien "species that has been introduced to Loch Lomond and is endangering the powan...........the native and now endangered species.
Google "alien species in Loch Lomond"
Ah well, I am wrong about the permits.you live and learn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hiya,

It was always the case that you DID need a permit to fish Loch Lomond even for Coarse fish, however given the Permit was free the Bailiffs didn't normally pursue the matter any further if you didn't have one.

Species wise , the Ruff as Seafarer has pointed out is anything but protected, however the Powan IS protected.
HI DAVY,

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT.

THERE IS NOW A CHARGE, EVEN FOR COARSE ANGLING, WHICH IS AIMED AT WEEDING OUT THE DESPOILERS, WHO FISH FOR GAIN, TROPHIES, OR OTHER HANGABLE OFFENCES.

CHEERS,

S.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts