World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the plym at low water bouncing a ball weight and fresh dug lug had 2 small schoolies then the rod went over and bang a bass just under 6 pound a coupel of ounces off my pb and the season has only just begun oh yes

·
Registered
346 Posts
hello there - what do u mean by 'bouncing' a ball weight along the plym - is that just a case of fishing on the bottom with just a ball weight as weight and a nice juicy worm?

oh and having NEVER caught anything from the plym apart from bloody chore crabs - and having never even SEEN ANYone catch anythign from the plym, im the worlds biggest sceptic (or is that crap fisherman?) on anything decent beign caught from the plym, in fact anythign at all beign caught lol so any tips you could offer would be great! ive tried high tide, low tide on bottom on float - including bubble float at dead low tide with a worm trailing behind, ive tried worm crab squid and even a sandeel! ive tried day time night time in wind rain snow and sunshine at all times of the year - not a nibble! ive tried both sides from the boat house to gydinia way and from the middle of the track aroudn saltram - where it opens out in a clearing sort of up to between the two road bridges at billacombe road.

any ideas what im doing wrong mate?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all you need is a 1 ounce ball weight and a size 3-0 hook dig fresh lug at low tide when tide starts to flood fish in channel just flick it out and let it bounce a long the bottom you will know when mr bass bites do you fish anywere good near plymouth if so send me a private message and in will put you on a few marks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bass can be caught all year round in the plym. The monsters appear to be caught during winter on live baits such as pouting and scad mackeral.

During summer the bass fishing is excellent. Standing on top of the bridge during a big tide you will very likely see scores of bass swimming up or down the river.

The bridge is probably the best place to catch them. Lugworm is a good bait, and should be fished off the bridge so that the tide is dragging the worm under the bridge. it is also important that the worm is about 1/2 ft off the bottom (Use a boom) or else you will be crabbed off. A weight of 2 0z max with a good 5 to 6 lugworms on a pennel rig is recommended. A stop not is also a good idea to stop worms travelling up the line.

The same thing can be done with live sandeel also. Believe it or not, I have caught large flounder of the bridge with live sandeel so don't be surprised what you catch.

The bass will swim through there at some point, and if you don't see them, you probably won't catch them. Be ready for the bites off the bridge which will be one violent jerk followed by a ridiculously strong pull which will pull your rod over the bridge if you are stoned, drunk or asleep! During winter you will catch but probably just schoolies. Although you will have to fish through the schoolies, during the summer you will enjoy frequent catches of bass around 2-4 pounds! Seriously.

However. An important point to note is that it is very very unlikely you will catch the day after heavy rain. (due to some sort of mineral running off dartmoor into the plym apparently).

Fishing elsewhere in the plym is slightly different. The tactic deployed by matey with the ball weight is excellent, and does work. I have found using light weights such as this is very effective.

A hotsopt I have found in the plym, if you want sport, is on the kingsbridge side. Turn immediate left after going over the bridge from plymouth. Walk into the car park on your left (belongs to a car mechanic) and climb down the wall into the plym, and walk towards the bridge until you are on the jetty thing. This is where you should fish. It is best to take a look at low water on a big tide and you will see small snad banks created by the tide (Which changes regularly). Note where the deeper gullies are, and then arrive the next day 3 hours before low water on a ebbing tide. Fish off the jetty straight out and keep changing casts until you get bites. The bigger bass are literally under your rod tip and i have caught good fish two feet from the waters' edge here. You must keep well back from the water, keep quiet, and hold the rod. Use 1-2 oz maximum.

There are conditions for fishing here in this way; 1) Big tides 2) cloudy/overcast 3) No rain the previous day.

To fish here on a bright sunny day, use freelined live sandeel, or use a bubble float with those fake holographic sandeel things. Cast out and reel in, varying retrieve speeds. This method involves a very long trace of around 4-6 ft (or long as possible). Also, don't strike immediately, wait for the confirming second pull to lift into the fish.

There are conditions for this way as well. 1) bigish tides 2) no rain prior day.

There is a very effective method for catching bass stalking them. However, i will reveal this only when I have caught my 8 pound bass!

·
Registered
3 Posts
No problem.

I have been checking the plym regularly. I have seen schoolies swimming under the bridge but I think it's a bit early to see the larger fish.

In around 2/3 weeks I am looking forward to seeing bigish bass off the bridge!

·
Registered
346 Posts
managed to get my first fish from the plym this winter - after god knows how long trying. that was a small schoolie of about 3/4lb but still it was a fish - that was whilst attempting to get a flounder.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Steve, Nice going.
Fishy good info.

I have done bit in the river but only had a few tidlers, may be i'll give it another go!

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good skills Sea Urchin.

I have also tried a few times in the plym for flounder this winter but no joy.

I was fishing quite close to the bridge (Mid Dec) and two blokes came down (using rag) and they each had a flounder of between 2 1/2 to 3 lb! Could't believe it. This was on the later stages of the flood.

I was also fishing the same spot a couple of weeks prior and a chap was fishing. I blanked and went to the shop. 30 mins later in came that bloke with a 2lb 8 flounder!

Before you cross the bridge from plymouth there is a walkway which leads along to the embankment. Turn into the walkway and clime over the fence which leads you under the old railway bridge. At low tide you will see a small pool on your left as you look up towards sainsbury's. This is where the 3 flounder I mentioned were caught.

I did get crabbed out severely here though so perhaps they were using crab floats. Who knows.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So there are flounder in the river?

I tried one winter froze my bits off & said they just aint worth catching!:giveup:

I'll wait for the warmer weather thanks.

See you around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts