World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Riverside Today Had 12 Flounder And One Other Fish It Was About 8 Inches Long Light Brown And Its Bottom Jaw Stuck Out From The Top Lip. It Also Had A Forked Tail,first I Thought It Was A Whiting But Looked For A Pic On The Net And It Aint One Of Them Ohh And It Had Alot Of Sharp Teeth ,anyone Any Ideas ?.bait Used Was Rag Macky And Herring .i Will Be Taking The Camera Next Time For Sure. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it wasnt a pollock caught them before thx m8 all the same any other ideas

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not that ether

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats a smelt will try to find a pic

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope not that ether any 1 know of a fish species site i can look at

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found a pic of a fish it looked like and it was a smelt .is this a common fish to find in the tay?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fished there again today for a couple of hours had 5 small flounders and three eels .did notice that the flounders had vanished once the eels were there is this common ?anyway dont like catching eels and does anybody know if this is true once you catch an eel you wont catch anything else on that hook but eels.after a drive down the motorway went to longanet ,there were bass there but i was the only one not to catch (no rubber eels ).bait used today were macky and sqiud strips.

did take camera but batteries were gone left it switched on plugged into pc again BUGGER!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
marcus you do get smelts in the tay caught 1 myself not that common you should check the record
also i found once you hook a eel 90% of time only eels will come to it
best to clean your rig or put a fresh rig on
i know what what its like camera at the ready batteries dead

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks m8 pretty sure it was a smelt . ahhhh it is true what they say about eels thought so .the camera is now charged and will be going with me next time.and by the way i fish alot just across the water from you at newport and caught alot of nice seatrout of the harbour float fishing with a small macky strip. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looked nothing like a blenny caught millions of them before anyway it was a smelt . :) thx anyway m8

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, did the fish you caught in the Tay look like this?? I caught this in the Tay and when I brought the fish to shore it had swallowed its own tail as seen in image.
Can anyone recognise the fish species I dont think it is a Butterfish as they have black rings on there dorsal fin. The silver coloured fish is a smelt commonly known as a cucumber fish.

rehead

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts