World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just felt I should share this with everyone as quite a few of us supported this charity event.

As you may remember Dytiscus did a charity event visiting RNLI stations along the south coast. He had some difficulties and quite a few of us helped him out by giving him lifts, lodging and some hot food.

I also bought some raffle tickets from him and was delighted to win the beach buddy he was using. Problem its its not arrived. I've talked to Nick a couple of times and emailed him. He said the prize had been sent by TNT as his dad works for them so the deliver would be free (I did offer to pay for delivery). Last conversation Nick was going to call me back and lt me know whats happening. That was three weeks ago now!

So come on Nick, this doesn't look good and makes me think twice before offering my help and support for future events.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just felt I should share this with everyone as quite a few of us supported this charity event.

As you may remember Dytiscus did a charity event visiting RNLI stations along the south coast. He had some difficulties and quite a few of us helped him out by giving him lifts, lodging and some hot food.

I also bought some raffle tickets from him and was delighted to win the beach buddy he was using. Problem its its not arrived. I've talked to Nick a couple of times and emailed him. He said the prize had been sent by TNT as his dad works for them so the deliver would be free (I did offer to pay for delivery). Last conversation Nick was going to call me back and lt me know whats happening. That was three weeks ago now!

So come on Nick, this doesn't look good and makes me think twice before offering my help and support for future events.
i never heard how much he raised for RNLI
i did win the cono flex which i sold but was going to give it to him as he could not make the match! (glad i never now)
it all went a bit quiet and never heard the final result??

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i never heard how much he raised for RNLI
i did win the cono flex which i sold but was going to give it to him as he could not make the match! (glad i never now)
it all went a bit quiet and never heard the final result??
Thats a bit harsh!

Let him explain first before making comments that he stole the money or commited fraud!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thats a bit harsh!

Let him explain first before making comments that he stole the money or commited fraud!
would be nice if he did explan instead of not posting how he done or where mateys beach buddy is!!

G

·
I am afraid you are not the only one to have an issue over this. I am fairly sure someone else will posting on this thread when they get home from work.

It would be VERY nice to hear a report/explanation... :unsure:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before it gets silly, let me just say I'm not accusing Nick of anything. I just think he needs to be more organised and not rely on favours to deliver prizes. Like I said, I offered to pay for the delivery and Nick told me the beach buddy had been sent, but I've had no tracking number or any replies to my email. He needs to sort it so that charity events don't get a bad name.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm guessing that poor 'Henry' is probably a bit embarrassed after not getting anywhere near his target so let's not be too hard on him and give him chance to get his side across.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
This is a thread which warrants some airing; however, it needs to be kept in perspective and people need to ensure they only post the facts that they 'absolutely' know to be true.

People generally know my views on closing threads (hate it.....makes the forum look ugly and unwelcoming), so I tend to simply get rid, unless there are points that need keeping out in the open (not often).

Please keep to the truthful facts people....or the thread will be gone.

As an aside....I know Nick (although not very well), but will be doing my very best to bring this to an early conclusion.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
In fairness, he did post how much he raised, it was little more than £6-700 if i recall. look in the general section for the thread.

I can't defend his actions regards the prizes as i've not spoken to him but, he worked damned hard to do that event, got injured on route, had to call off one or two meets because of going to hospital / getting private treatment, in all it cost him over £300 to just do it i believe!

I wouldn't mind betting he does feel let down somewhat, the bream match, i'm led to believe, was shelved after it was blown off, instead of reshceduled as agreed. that shoulda raised plenty but didn't.

of about 40 people who said they'd do the shark match at pagham, only about ten ? turned up, even less on the eastbourne pier meet, about 7 out of over 20 turned up, then there was dover breakwater, only about 12 of us bothered (several of whom had already given prizes or donated at other meets). the latter two matches raised very little, in fact, i gave away more in prize totals than was raised.

i know he's not the most organised bloke in the world, we tried to tell him to get a network of people along the route to help with showers, lifts, dinners, drop stops for gear etc, and he did ask a couple of times, member participation was poor in it's response, very poor and only after his accident, when Ian, I, and a couple of others pushed to try and get him more help did anyone start to take notice.

there should have been people at every stop to meet with him, if not for money then just to wet a line and spur him on.

from what i gather, with few exceptions, hardly anyone either side of sussex to dorset actually helped the guy with lifts etc.

I was majorly disappointed for the guy. majorly disappointed in the lack of support too, to make barely 1/10th of the hoped for total, after spending 30+ days on the road (most of it walking) must've been extremely embarrassing and must weigh heavy.

Hugh

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
As a diversion, and while we are waiting to hear from Nick,
Perhaps Mr colmer would care to inform you of my large catch in Weymouth Bay last night.
I would do it myself but do not like to look too smart.
he was after all the first to hear.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was majorly disappointed for the guy. majorly disappointed in the lack of support too, to make barely 1/10th of the hoped for total, after spending 30+ days on the road (most of it walking) must've been extremely embarrassing and must weigh heavy.

Hugh

I was disappointed for Nick too, it was a very bold attempt and if he hasn't already buried his head in the sand i'm sure he might after reading this.

Anybody attempting this would have encountered problems along the way and maybe some of it was down to lack of preparation, but don't slate the guy off. If the RNLI, heaven forbid ever have to rescue one of us it's people like Nick, trying to organise charity events and raising money, so they can, and to continue doing the great job that they do. So, i hope you get your prizes, i really do, but lets not be too hard on the bloke as he has tried more than most are ever willing to.

Ian.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
ok..to add to this..

i picked nick up from newquay at 6am..i then took him for breakfast at mc dees...then on to my house so hge could leave some gear here then dropped him at penzance after buying him a pasty so he could go to the scilly isles.....two days later i drove to lands end to pick him up and take him to sennan so he could fish and visit the crew, who didnt realise he was coming...then in the afternoon we went on to newlyn...in the eve we went off on the conger comp which only nick, myself and adam turned up....adam won the rod( which he still hasnt seen) and a gemini weight kit, which nick had with him....the next day i took him to the lizard, he met the crew and and we fished for wrasse, then off to falmouth to see the crew, who had not realised he was coming then home for dinner...then off to pendennis to fish for huss.....
the next day i ttok him to fowey were i dropped him off to start his next leg....whilst conversing he mentioned that he allready had most of the money towards the 10k and that it would be easy to acheive it....he was also banking the money into his own account:g:, im sure the total you can see on the link is what people have pledged via the site....

when nick arrived in newquay he said he had forgotten part of his rodrest so i lent him my daiwa collapsable for the rest of his mission...

the last i heard from nick was when he was on the ilse of sheppy...he had no where to stay and no one supporting him....i have a house i own over there and offerd it to him, but he was going to get the bus to gravesend where he had a mate there.....

now.....i took two days holiday to help him, and did all i could.....most of all i lent him my only rod rest as i had given my old one away...it wasnt cheap and i cant get hold of him to get it back....:uhuh:

but....

i do have his address and i will be paying him a little visit............

i understand that he didnt reach his target and that he was probably peeved with the lack of support but you dont just ignore people and hide your head in the sand......i had a lot of respect for the guy and that respect has faded away.......and i feel that i have been a bit used to be honest......

he needs to get on here so people can face him and this can be sorted....

so....nick...please.....give me back my rod rest!!!!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I totally agree with you Hugh. Nick put in a lot of effort and went through a lot of hardship during his trip and it is a shame that he didn't get closer to his target. I'm not knocking Nick at all and don't wish to debate how the event went, just don't seem to be making any headway with this. If anyone see's him, just ask him to get in touch so I can find out whats up.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
As a diversion, and while we are waiting to hear from Nick,
Perhaps Mr colmer would care to inform you of my large catch in Weymouth Bay last night.
I would do it myself but do not like to look too smart.
he was after all the first to hear.
Behave Ian.....or I will tell all about your swimming exploits! :bleh:

No one wants to hear about a 4lb teddy out of a 'grabber' machine anyway....despite how rare such a catch might be!

On topic please.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.