World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone,
As the title suggests I need some advice on rock fishing safety please.

Having never attempted it before I do have the chance to go this September when I am on holiday in Pembrokeshire,so any tips and advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,I know you'll help me out here.

Regards

Dave

:fishing1::fishing1:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Hi everyone,
As the title suggests I need some advice on rock fishing safety please.

Having never attempted it before I do have the chance to go this September when I am on holiday in Pembrokeshire,so any tips and advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,I know you'll help me out here.

Regards

Dave

:fishing1::fishing1:
Hi Dave Firstly

Never go on the rocks if it is raining or the rocks are wet as this is a hazzard in itself

Always tell someone where you are going and know your location incase you get into difficulty and need rescued

Always keep a free hand when climbing over rocks so as to keep your balance, and take your time

If you can wear studded boots like I always do then even better, you can buy screw in studs and put them in an old pair of boots

If you think a spot might be to risky for you then it probably is

Stay well back from the rock edges especially if there is a swell as the water can come right over you and sweep you in

keep your gear well back from the edges

the rest is common sense

Hope this helps you Dave

Cheers
Davy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Excellent post, can I also add make sure you have the tides right, and most inportantly of all, get some local knowledge of where you are going - pop into the local tackle shop for a natter. They will make you aware of any dangers.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,what about tackle,should it be kept to a minimum ?

A backpack for carrying essentials ?

I'm thinking of spinning or lure fishing for Pollack and float for Wrasse etc

Cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
I do a lot of rock fishing, if on my own I carry a backpack and two rods - one for the pollock and one for the feathers. Simple rule is keep it light and keep one hand free at all times.

Also, if you are fishing over kelp & rocks be prepared to lose some tackle - as the saying goes, if you aren't getting snags you aren't fishing deep enough, so take enough that your trip wont be called short as you have no more weights left.

I normally fish with a flying collar rig for the pollock with a jelly worm (ebay search for the DIY boom kits, superb) or other artificial, then feathers for the mackies and whatever else is out there. Must get some float gear for the bait fishing though.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips and advice Davy and Docstone and the PM that

somebody kindly sent me,some very useful info there which I hope to

put to good use in Pembrokeshire this Sept.

Cheers Guys

Regards

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts