World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless you have a penchant for flounder fishing or love eating whiting, winter can be a very lackluster time of the year to be out fishing. However, if you are conger fishing from the rocks, some absolute beasts can show in our county. We've really started to up the hours, as covered in Sam's (@Mudsta) report, to see a huge blonde lost and a huge hound in the same session, it certainly whets the appetite to get out and try for a good fish. Some of the best sessions I have experienced have been in January and February when the conditions are right the fish feed in overdrive, however, the sessions can often be a quiet misery in the damp and cold of a British winter with just he rockling, pout and crustaceans tapping away.

We went out Sunday night for a long one, the walk took an hour and one minute and all we saw was a few straps with one making double figures and a lobster around 4-5lb which came off on the surface, it was the kind of session that could destroy your enthusiasm, without the company I would have questioned why we bother at all. A slippy glaze over the rock made it difficult to stay on your feet, I was glad I had the Rockgrip boots on as Rob fell a couple of times. Far from ideal....

RJConger2-1.jpg

After resting up for a couple of days my enthusiasm was back up, I keep watching the video of Rob's lost blonde and it soon gets you motivated again. We went squidding to start off in Weymouth and I can honestly say I think the season is almost over, the jigging was not that fruitful, however, it was fun, especially poaching fish that a mate had spotted first. @pair of danglers Also got squirted straight in the chops with ink as he unhooked one, very funny for the other Rob, Grant @Poseidon. and I to watch. Rob J. managed 8 large squid and the general size was very good, the rest of us just had a couple really.

RobJSquidClose1logo1.jpg

DaiwaBG3000squid1Logo.jpg

25446457_1222925824519042_6627856049693145509_n.jpg

It was great fun as usual, the competitive spirit, banter and good to meet Grant who fitted right in.

At midnight we packed up and headed East to a rock mark, tired out we began hurling baits out hoping for a monster. Two eels in two casts and we thought it was only a matter of time until we hooked a bigger one. I had a good bite that pulled the tip right down which resulted in a 7lb 6oz smoothhound which Rob S. kindly climbed down and got for me. The fish was quickly photographed and released via the dropnet.

MeSmoothhound7lb6ozLogo.jpg

We fished on and things just got quiter and baits were coming back untouched. The best fish of the night was probably Rob's at 8lb 13oz's.

RobStammasConger8lb13ozLogo.jpg

Nothing really set the world on fire, at first light we left exhausted and got home around 8:30am. We'll recharge and get back at it, straps are beginning to get to me.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
a squid really is a magnificent creature, great engineering and lovely colours. keep at, you know a beast will be out there with your name on soon.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a squid really is a magnificent creature, great engineering and lovely colours. keep at, you know a beast will be out there with your name on soon.............
It's hilarious at the moment, after one of these duff sessions we have a day hating fishing and the world, after a good sleep and when the leg ache is gone from the walk or climb, we are all chatting itching to try again. Addicts....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
With that level of commitment you are garunteed to pull up a donkey soon. There's a 40+ eel with your names on out there it's a matter of time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With that level of commitment you are garunteed to pull up a donkey soon. There's a 40+ eel with your names on out there it's a matter of time!
I am starting to think we need some kind of rehab, I have just messaged one of the Rob's about a long shot of a tide today or tomorrow and he has just replied that his torch is on charge. It will happen, the maths is just tons of baits in the right area, I am certainly glad I don't have to buy bait anymore, it helps a lot. Give us a shout if you fancy joining us one session Stewart.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am starting to think we need some kind of rehab, I have just messaged one of the Rob's about a long shot of a tide today or tomorrow and he has just replied that his torch is on charge. It will happen, the maths is just tons of baits in the right area, I am certainly glad I don't have to buy bait anymore, it helps a lot. Give us a shout if you fancy joining us one session Stewart.
I'm always up for a trip Chris, let me know where and when and I'll be there! may need to get myself some bigger hooks though ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always up for a trip Chris, let me know where and when and I'll be there! may need to get myself some bigger hooks though ;)
Ok, I think tonight may be short notice for you but, we are definitely out between xmas and new year. Get those hooks...

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Great stuff as usual mate your certainly getting among the squid have a look at the South Wales forum a monster conger got caught from the shore there recently absolute beast .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great stuff as usual mate your certainly getting among the squid have a look at the South Wales forum a monster conger got caught from the shore there recently absolute beast .
Cheers - I saw that on FB , it was so far I thought perhaps it had swallowed a tree trunk. I also saw the weight was estimated, it looked fat enough to be that, though perhaps not very long looking at the crouching pic. There was a 64lb'er from our coast 2-3 years back, they are about, its just people get cut off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How ever big it was if I saw that on the end of me line I’d have a little poo and run away
I nearly trod on a boa constrictor once, we were walking after dark in the rain on a Thai island and my mate shouted snake, it was a horrid thing to see in a torch light, about 12 ft long, almost jumped out of my skin.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ok, I think tonight may be short notice for you but, we are definitely out between xmas and new year. Get those hooks...
Tonight's a bit short notice as you say. After Xmas will be perfect as I have no commitments. I've got some hooks in my boat gear so I'll make up some rigs!

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Wow, beasts, well done Chris, some amazing fishing and report. But video............... no more, nothing to watch while eating dinner tonight:BigGrin:.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
That massive south Wales shore Conger was caught without casting as the angler just dropped the bait straight down the side of a harbour wall !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tonight's a bit short notice as you say. After Xmas will be perfect as I have no commitments. I've got some hooks in my boat gear so I'll make up some rigs!
You missed out on getting very wet last night, was good fun, but, too splashy.

Wow, beasts, well done Chris, some amazing fishing and report. But video............... no more, nothing to watch while eating dinner tonight:BigGrin:.
We need more video, i'll get on it in 2018.

Great report as always mate :)
Thanks a lot Alex.

Nice report mate
Cheers Si.

That massive south Wales shore Conger was caught without casting as the angler just dropped the bait straight down the side of a harbour wall !
Its often the way around structures, I had a 33lb odd right by my feet too. That Welsh eel was a beast.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts