World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the river Tyne, beaches and Piers with some reasonable catches but seriously considering rock fishing as a main type of fishing that I want to explore.

I have a Diawa SL30SH and a Penn 535 but I feel that my Century G1 is a bit long for the rocks, so I was thinking of downsizing my rod. Essentially I need some good advice on the whole aspect of fishing from the rocks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Can you be a bit more precise on what you want to know ??

There are 2 schools of thought on rod length. Some prefer the long rod 16ft and fix spool with braid combo. The more sensible amongst us like the 13ft rod and multiplier.

You will need to work out where you want to fish. Pick some marks and fish them hard to learn when they produce. Aim (long term) to have a venue for calm days, a venue for medium swell and a venue for rough swells. Learn places for high and low water, neeps and springs, ebbs and flood tides. It will take a lot of years but you will evetually start to see a bigger picture.

Quality bait is essential and this is what sets the best anglers apart from the rest. It really pays dividends to get the vey best bait you can and then to look after it well.

If your going to fish on a night, you will need a source of light. Most anglers opt for a headlamp and the new 3w led seems to be all the rage. My personal fave is the princeton tec apex.

You will need to think about many other things such as : line, rigs, weights, etc etc etc.

Rock fishing is easy but at the same time there is a lot to learn. If Rock fishing was a course at University it would be set over many years with only the really dedicated coming out the other end with a degree of rock angling.

Most of all have fun along the way, keep a diary, and photograph every fish to remind you of the special nights in years to come.

Best fishes - Glenn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply Crocodile.

I was thinking of fishing the area along Whitburn/Marsden because it is very close to where I live. I have occasionally seen the odd angler on the rocks from the cliffs and wondered how the hell did they get down there! I’ll take your advice and only fish this area and keep a diary and location map.

What do you mean by quality bait? Fresh bait that you find yourself? I’m also interested in finding bait such as peeler crab, razor fish, mussel, limpets etc on a low tide to use in that same area to fish. I would rather do that than buy.

What size line and type of rigs would you recommend?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In terms of bait. Qualiy usualy means - collecting it yourself. Keeping it alive or freezing it as fast as possible.

I usually bring on all my own peelers. I dig all my own worm, and collect my own mussels. When I was very keen I would also dig white ragworm, often on the big tides in the early hours of the morning.

I keep mussel and worm alive in my tank. One thing I will buy off others is frozen black worm. Otherwise I like to source my own, this way you know the quality is good.

I also like a bit of cart, again I source this myself and freeze it fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts