World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with all these fantastic reports coming in, i thought i would tyr my hand at one.....Sorry about the pink floyd song reference but i couldn't resist it!
Thought i would hit a few Pollock at the bay as they are in, but it was not to be.
Things were not good from the start with a heavy swell surfing right across the bay.
I fished from 2 hours after the ebb until low water with out any prestigious fish other than a few strange ones i have never caught!!

I don't normally take pictures of rockling but i have never had the colours of the ones i had this session.
The first was covered in a beautiful pattern, the next was the norm....the last one was coloured like a proper ling, totally grey and completely STUFFED full of food but it managed to take a huge squid on a 5/0 pennel right down!
I also had a guy with a torch that pushed 500,000 candle power come along the beach for a nose that didn't cheer me up one bit but that's the way it is around here! Put it this way, if any war veteran was there, he would have gone into `searchlight` flashback.....i thought i was at a floyd concert! :(
All fish were caught on squid at different ranges.
Cheers guys.
Dave
A REGULAR `BAY ROCKLING`

NEVER HAD ONE LIKE THIS WITH THE COLOURS

THE GRAY ONE, THAT TOOK A 10"SQUID!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
dare i say it, Nice rockling mate . the center one has some loverly markings.
looks like you where after some bass with bait like that? The squid i meen.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dare i say it, Nice rockling mate . the center one has some loverly markings.
looks like you where after some bass with bait like that? The squid i meen.
Hehe, cheers mate....i normally would say i blanked than report a rockling....but i just could not get over the different colours they had, never had one with markings at all, let alone one like tiger skin!
Yes mate, i had 1 rod out for bass all night without a sniff......other than that last rocky.:schmoll:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Is the top one 5 beard and the bottom two 3 bearded?

Nice photo's:)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can honestly say that they all had one beard under the mouth and two above ( i made sure of it after the second one)
For once i was only on golden vaginia and kenko so i`m sure of my actions hehe.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I can honestly say that they all had one beard under the mouth and two above ( i made sure of it after the second one)
For once i was only on golden vaginia and kenko so i`m sure of my actions hehe.
ahh the heady mix of Kenko and golden vagina, seen me through many a session.
cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The smaller rockling are most likely Shore Rockling, the larger mottled/tabby marked fish is most likely a Three Bearded. the Three Bearded is the giant among rocklings.
There is also the Four Bearded, this looks like the Shore Rockling but has an extra, smaller, beard on its top lip rather lower than the two beards on its nose; easy to miss this one. The Five Bearded is the same colouration usually as the Shore and Four Bearded.
confused yet ?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smaller rockling are most likely Shore Rockling, the larger mottled/tabby marked fish is most likely a Three Bearded. the Three Bearded is the giant among rocklings.
There is also the Four Bearded, this looks like the Shore Rockling but has an extra, smaller, beard on its top lip rather lower than the two beards on its nose; easy to miss this one. The Five Bearded is the same colouration usually as the Shore and Four Bearded.
confused yet ?
Cheers for that mate, i reckon you are right, its possible i may have missed one on its lip!:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:
:schmoll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts