World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Which would you go for

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys!! I have managed to save some money (£200) and decided I am going to buy my first "descent" rod. I have decided to go with the Vercelli range. Mainly because i heard they are fairly light in weight..(i have a back problem, cant handle heavy rod.) I have been researching it and like the reviews.

Ps I am a fixed spool user.

My question is do.. Do I go with a 14ft or a 15ft? I am not a pro at casting.. I fish Brighton area where i think distance is essential.. But is the one foot difference going to change the distance much??

Your advise is much needed as i will be getting my rod next week... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
The fifteen ft should get you more distance with less effort, I have a three piece Triplex that I got a few years ago and find it really easy with a fixed spool reel. Quite a light rod, weel for me anyway.
Good luck with ever you get.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Vercelli Amarella which is lovely rod and you can pick them up for under £200. I also have dodgy back and found all the 15' rods a lot heavier than 14'.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Forgot to say I also have a 14' Leeda Icon FS Sport which is incredibly light and you can buy new £100 - £140!! Cracking value.

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
Knackered disc up between my shoulder blades means I get on better with the 14 rather than 15 ft rods. The amount of extra torque ,for want of a better word, needed to get the best out of the longer rod was just a good way of popping the disc out of place. The 13.5 ft rod I chopped down from 14ft is better to manage still, and no drop in distance as I can just get it moving better.

I am used to coarse gear so all this stuff is a bit alien and heavy to me though.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My question is do.. Do I go with a 14ft or a 15ft? I am not a pro at casting.. I fish Brighton area where i think distance is essential.. But is the one foot difference going to change the distance much??
The Brighton Marina walls are about 4 meters from the front wall to the back. I've seen people attempt to use long beach casters and need have a mate say if they are going to hit the back wall. A 15ft beach caster may have issues on the wall. If you're not a wall user then don't need to worry about it :)

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
I have used both, and tbh I think the 15 ft ers are all a bit tip heavy, I have a Vercelli Nero Power, just a bit under 14 ft and it is one of the nicest ,lightest rods I have ever used.I also have back problems, slipped disk, repaired and slipped again etc etc..

It is a bit above your price range, but if I was on your budget I would be looking at a 14 ft Continental with a casting range of around 100-200 grammes, that equates to 4-6 oz sinkers and bait, so it would cover you for most eventualities.There are plenty in the Vercelli range, but dont get one with too fine a tip.The Enygma Superfast looks to be in your area, plus you will have a bit of change, after the Superfast the prices start to rise over budget.

http://www.tronixfishing.com/tronixfishing-news/vercelli_new_rods_2016/

With a good oht or off ground cast you should be hitting 100 yds easily,that is far enough imo to catch any fish, at that range you may be casting over the fish as opposed to not reaching them.

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a 14ft enygma manic, i'de never used a long light rod before so it was a while before I could get the hang of casting with it always thought it was going to snap, but my distance improved with my confidence.
Gone back to a stiffer rod now though now as switched to a multy, (leeda icon M-Power) if this is anything to go by i'de have a look at the Leeda FS sport as they are really good rods punching well above there price bracket.

·
Premium Member
36,428 Posts
Depends how tall u are , length of arms if 6ft > go 15 < go 14
I am 5' 9" and can easily cast a 16' rod, I currently one Vercelli Enygma Gradient 4.2m (13' 9") and a Yuki Neox Maseraty 4.5m (15'), the higher quality rods are usually lighter.

The Vercelli Enygma Gradient is now £168.99p and excellent value. The rod loads easily so needs less effort to cast and coupled to a decent quality light weight reel, I use Shimano 5500 a 100 yards plus is easy to achieve using a 4 oz lead and baited rig.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I find a 14ft a bit much sometimes. I do fish with a multi, but find the longer rods a pain when trying to land bigger fish and can make space a bit tight casting on some marks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I find a 14ft a bit much sometimes. I do fish with a multi, but find the longer rods a pain when trying to land bigger fish and can make space a bit tight casting on some marks
Agree with this, longer rods are easier to cast for the average angler and can get you a good few more yards for the same effort, BUT a decent fish in a heavy surf really takes it out on your arms? :eek:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Interesting thread, it's got me thinking though, how much distance would a 14 of 15 foot rod get you over a 13'? if you struggle to reach say 70/80 yards would an extra foot or two get you another 20 or 30 yards? I honestly dont know the answer having never used anything over 13', but with my trusty old Nemesis (13') I can hit 100 without too much trouble, I'm sure that with proper training from a good casting coach I could increase that significantly..obviously CCRML has mentioned his back problem so if a longer rod would be more comfortable that would be the way to go but personally I might be inclined to spend the money on some decent tuition and learn a skill that would apply to any rod.

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
Interesting thread, it's got me thinking though, how much distance would a 14 of 15 foot rod get you over a 13'? if you struggle to reach say 70/80 yards would an extra foot or two get you another 20 or 30 yards? I honestly dont know the answer having never used anything over 13', but with my trusty old Nemesis (13') I can hit 100 without too much trouble, I'm sure that with proper training from a good casting coach I could increase that significantly..obviously CCRML has mentioned his back problem so if a longer rod would be more comfortable that would be the way to go but personally I might be inclined to spend the money on some decent tuition and learn a skill that would apply to any rod.
I can get my long rods about 20 -30 meters more than my strongest bass rod, but only when I get things spot on. That's with 4 oz and bait clipped down. I can fish the bass rod to 110 meters or so easily but to get the full on beach rods much over 90 I have to get things just right and to get them further out than the bass rod I have to be pretty much at the top of my game.

I can get the long rod a very long way out with just a weight in perfect conditions in practice with firm footing, I can beat the bass rods by a good 70 meters or so, but actual fishing the difference comes right down and the smaller rods are just effortless to use in comparison. No setting my footing up and getting things balanced and composed, just bait up, clip up and whip it away, very much more enjoyable to use.

I find I get my casting right more often with the bass rods as a 400 gram 11.5 ft rod is just so much less effort to maneuver. I am used to course gear and have two slipped disks, the upper one is the one that gets popped out of place with the big rods. So most of the time my difference in distance with the 11.5ft rod and the 14ft rod ain't that much. Says more about me than the rods but learning to pendulum a bass rod rather than flog myself to death with the big rods has made things easier on the upper back. I will be getting a couple more 14ft rods as the "continental" stuff is light but they wont be staying 14ft for very long after the original guarantee is up.

Greys triplex 14ft chopped down to 12ft 6in should come in at about 520 grams and would be a cracking 5oz beach rod and will be a project before the autumn if greys don't come out with the lighter version before then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts