World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to sea fishing and have been beach fishing a few times. I have a pretty basic beachcasting outfit and I am looking to upgrade. Ive been offered a Greys Mercury for £80 (ex condition). Any thought on price and suitability for a beginner.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I do not know what a second hand price should be for this rod, but £80 sounds ok for a Greys.

If the rod is rung for a multiplier, but you are used to fixed spool reels, then yes it could take some getting used to, plus you would need to get hold of a multiplier reel to go with it.

However, beginner or not - a quality rod like a greys will last for years and years. Long enough for you to learn and enjoy for years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again,

I also bought n abu 6600ab multiplier reel, so it appears im all set. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I too have a greys mercury, one of the best rods you can get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spellbound,
Im just new, where can u suggest?, anywhere in easy travelling distance from glasgow?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've not fished near Glasgow for some time apart from the odd match at Bowling for flatties and eels. Though did read this under the Scotland venue.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2432

Personally I would travel either south down to the Mull of Galloway or across to Loch Fyne where there is more variation of species.

Have you thought about joining a club or do you have someone to fish with as you would learn a lot quicker, with regards to rigs/best baits/tide states etc.

It might be a few weeks early for the fish to be back in numbers - usually the begining of June is better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spellbound,
Thanks for the reply. I have joined a club run from my work so hopefully Ill be catching just more than the cold from now on.
Bought the Greys Mercury rod that I was looking at. Very impressed with the quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts