World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after wanting a new rod for a couple of months now, but never being able to afford it, pay day is coming next week from my new job, can't wait!

So now that I'm on good pay and I can actually afford to buy a rod and to live! I would like some advice, I'm getting a bit fed up of searching around myself, I hear so many different things about different rods, most good, but then you get one bad comment about it, and it kind of puts you off, you probably know what I mean!

But anyway, for the details so you guys know which direction to point me in.

I do all kinds of fishing, from rough as hell (not too much though), to medium, to clean sand. Now, A guy I met let me have a hold of his rod (Conoflex Nemesis) and it was really nice, which made me annoyed about how horrible my rod feels, its so heavy, bringing in a 1/2lb codling feels like I'm hauling in a trawler.

So, before I go completely off subject, I would like a rod that is really nice and light, copes fairly well with medium - rough ground, but yet I could also use it on my local beaches, also I would really like it to have excellent bite detection. Now for the tricky party, I don't like spending money as if I have a Million pounds to spend, because obviously I don't, if I did, I would just go around buying every rod out until I found the one I like most, so the most I plan on going is £200, and I know you can pick up some nice 2nd hand rods for that anyway.

I appreciate all your comments/advice.

Thankyou everybody!

CR

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Daiwa Supercast Rough ground, light ,plenty of backbone and good tip for bite indication, best with 6oz leads and big baits, last years models going cheap,(same rod just new decals)

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
you can get a mint condition second hand century carbon metal for about £150 ish aswomse rods, bite detection is good, will handle 7oz plus bait.:bleh:.....rated 5-7oz plus bait (metal banded one), will handle clean-mixed and some rough imo, i mostly use mine on clean beaches and it performs really well,casts well too....one of the best allrounders:thumbs: and with the £50 ish change you could put that towards a new reel...:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
zzipplex :thumbs:

G

·
I would also suggest the Carbon Metal, being from the same place as yourself.
it will handle pretty much of what you are wanting from a rod, particulary down here, beach, mixed, and would even handle a bit of rough it it had to, I use them for Helford and Fal, Raying off loe Bar etc, weel suited to Kernow.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hi,
i would suggest you buy a second hand zziplex primo synchro it will be perfect for medium and sand but should be ok for the odd rough trip.
Its nigh on impossible to get a rod that covers rough,medium and clean ground without sacrificeing bite detection, so i would work out what ground u fish most and buy a rod aimed at that.
zziplex primo synchro light,good bite detection,excellent for learning to cast if required, very forgiving, great resale value as you would be able to sell it for what you brought it for in say a years time.
Should pick up a nice one for around £200.

Rich

·
Registered
21,567 Posts
Well, after wanting a new rod for a couple of months now, but never being able to afford it, pay day is coming next week from my new job, can't wait!

So now that I'm on good pay and I can actually afford to buy a rod and to live! I would like some advice, I'm getting a bit fed up of searching around myself, I hear so many different things about different rods, most good, but then you get one bad comment about it, and it kind of puts you off, you probably know what I mean!

But anyway, for the details so you guys know which direction to point me in.

I do all kinds of fishing, from rough as hell (not too much though), to medium, to clean sand. Now, A guy I met let me have a hold of his rod (Conoflex Nemesis) and it was really nice, which made me annoyed about how horrible my rod feels, its so heavy, bringing in a 1/2lb codling feels like I'm hauling in a trawler.

So, before I go completely off subject, I would like a rod that is really nice and light, copes fairly well with medium - rough ground, but yet I could also use it on my local beaches, also I would really like it to have excellent bite detection. Now for the tricky party, I don't like spending money as if I have a Million pounds to spend, because obviously I don't, if I did, I would just go around buying every rod out until I found the one I like most, so the most I plan on going is £200, and I know you can pick up some nice 2nd hand rods for that anyway.

I appreciate all your comments/advice.

Thankyou everybody!

CR
:fishing:My suggestion is that you buy a new Shakespeare Salt for the clean ground and a 2nd hand Zzippy, Century or Conoflex for the rough stuff, as no one rod will really do it all well.:fishing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts