World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm now in my second year of sea fishing and although the first was reasonably successful using carp rods I need the correct tool for the job.

Can anyone point me towards a good beach rod, capable of getting me those extra yards with 3/4/5oz of lead but a bit more sensitive than your average broom handle you see in the shops. I would actually like to see the bites

Would 14/15ft be around the right length or am I barking up the wrong tree here. What sort of budget do I need

Thanks guys

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, depends where you will be fishing. I do most of my fishing in the worthing/shoreham area and just scaled down to much lighter tackle where i can. I have just purchased the 11 ft estuary rod made by anyfish anywhere. Lovely rod and will cast upto 4 oz, but appreciate that you may be looking for something a little heavier if you already use carp rods. some of the other guys maybe able to gve you some advise on what to go for in that mid range. I also use a Abu Xodus that has loads of power, has a very sensitive tip and can cast upto 200 grams. Depends also on your casting style.......

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i'd also recommend the abu Xodus, great all round rod, casts really well, sits tight in all but the heaviest winds (i'm talking force 6+ here), and shows bites lovely,

also have an abu suveran sp match, just as good but stiffer and more powerful,
both are aprx 13ft rods. i picked up both of them in very good con'd for about £60 second hand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shakespeare Tidewater Beachcaster!!!!!!!!! from Jim's mail order at a snip over £40.

They are rated 4-8oz, however they are more suited to a 3-4oz leads, they are extremely light and have great bite detection.

I have one of these as a back up rod and use it more often than my rods in the £200+ range.
Personally I use it wit a abu 6500ct sports mag loaded with 12-15lb line.

These rods were featured in SEA ANGLER last year.

So if you don't fancy forking out £200, then this is the rod for you.

On the downside: these rods have really crappy rings, if it hits the deck the rings are wasted!! I invested in a new set of fuji guides, some thread and some resin; I would strongly recommend doing this if you purchase one of these rods.

Total cost £42 rod + £13 set of fuji guides , £1 thread and £7 for the resin

Total £63 (and a bit of your time)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
sounds like a bass rod should possibly be the next step
from the carp rods with a little more beef
most ar about the 3/4oz 11 ,12ft mark, very light and cant beat them for bite detection!
should be able to pick somthing half decent for around the 70
quid mark! had my 7lb smoothy on mine and handled it no problem
with still plenty of guts in reserve (great fun)
(dont shoot! just my limited opinion lads)

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
geffaz is right in what he says if you want to stick to the 3-4oz range, if you want to cast more then the bigger rod is required, in most areas i fish, a 5oz griplead is the minimum required to hold bottom in a strong tide,

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
moved to tackle discussion.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Ok, I'm now in my second year of sea fishing and although the first was reasonably successful using carp rods I need the correct tool for the job.

Can anyone point me towards a good beach rod, capable of getting me those extra yards with 3/4/5oz of lead but a bit more sensitive than your average broom handle you see in the shops. I would actually like to see the bites

Would 14/15ft be around the right length or am I barking up the wrong tree here. What sort of budget do I need

Thanks guys

can't go too afr wrong with century tip tornados.if you need a lighter weight go for the lite,or if you think you need a little more ooomph go for the match.both rods will hold in regular seas ok,will show a little whiting f*rting on your hook and have enough backbone to land a decent fish.....should find good uns secondhand for £150:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would say go for a second hand Century Tip Tornado Lite. Between April and September its my first choice rod for clean to mixed ground venues. They cast a dream, and handle weights from 3-5oz plus a generous bait. try one and you will see why i am so enthusiastic about this rod.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alternatively the G.A.C. have some good rod reel deals.
www.fishingmegastore.com
The Greys GRX-s and the penn 525mag extra for only £150 takes some beating. I got one and its fast becoming a firm favourite.
G.A.C :uhuh: :nonono: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: I THINK YOUR IN LOVE WI THEM MATE GO YOU ARE ARENT YOU!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
LOL! hell no that was just a good deal. The service is not great but you got to dmit they have good deals on from time to time. Tonys tackle is good too though. In all honesty though the two best sets of lads work at North East Tackle Supplies in Rhyhope and Pools and the lads at Spotty Dogs in Stockton. Great lads who will do anything for anyone, always willing to try and undercut other mail orders, and full of advice for those who want to listen.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
No thats a bit off the route map. I have heard their good but havent been through. A few lads i know get there Conoflex rods from there, they do custom whippings i think. TBH i think the lads in Hartlepool are every bit as good, so why bother spending the extra on juice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts