World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. I've been away from fishing for the last 10 years, but I want to get back in to it. I used to fish off rocks and some small boat fishing (16ft / 15hp outboard). Gear was basic - mono line, fixed spool reel and cheap rod.

I've done some searches here, but entered minefield. I'm looking for fixed spool reel and rod suitable for boat. I'll take advice on mono or braid, not sure braid was available last time I fished. I'd like the setup to handle up to 15-20lb fish.

I used to catch all sorts on the cheap set up 10 years ago, so I'm looking for a generic set up that will cover wide range of fish. Like the look of Daiwa rods and reels, budget about £400 for both.

Any advice?

Anders

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Daiwa kenzaki 12lb=20lb or saltist braid special 12lb-20lb paired with a saltist 30 or saltiga 30 avet mxj6/4 or accurate BX400 loaded with 30lb whiplash braid Excellent combos all

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Daiwa kenzaki 12lb=20lb or saltist braid special 12lb-20lb paired with a saltist 30 or saltiga 30 avet mxj6/4 or accurate BX400 loaded with 30lb whiplash braid Excellent combos all
Very good advice right there :)

Jim

·
Registered
615 Posts
what sort of depth water will you be fishing ?? will you be downtideing only or have you thought of uptideing as an uptide rod would cover a lot of situations

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what sort of depth water will you be fishing ?? will you be downtideing only or have you thought of uptideing as an uptide rod would cover a lot of situations
10-30m. The saltist braid special Tatch listed looks good, will this handle uptide too? For the reel, the daiwa caldia 3000 or 4000?

Anders

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If you want one that will do the lot Daiwa tournament global it will handle wrecking you can uptide with it use it off the pier anything you like fixed spool or multi i stick an opus bull fixed spool on (Built like tanks for stick )if i dont use one of my multipliers its a very powerful rod

·
Registered
615 Posts
10-30m. The saltist braid special Tatch listed looks good, will this handle uptide too? For the reel, the daiwa caldia 3000 or 4000?

Anders
with those depths I would gear up for uptideing as the rod can be used for downtideing as well but not the otherway round

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want one that will do the lot Daiwa tournament global it will handle wrecking you can uptide with it use it off the pier anything you like fixed spool or multi i stick an opus bull fixed spool on (Built like tanks for stick )if i dont use one of my multipliers its a very powerful rod
That's some piece of kit, the more I look at rods I think a couple of rods might be better :)

To kick off this looks decent for £99
[video=youtube_share;OT70pSh1--M]http://youtu.be/OT70pSh1--M[/video]

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
They are a belting rod i have them all 6lb - 12lb -30lb -50lb & my favourite is the 6lb one you can have some serious fun with that but you don't want a fixed spool on them

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
They are a belting rod i have them all 6lb - 12lb -30lb -50lb & my favourite is the 6lb one you can have some serious fun with that but you don't want a fixed spool on them
.... why ??? :huh:

Gert

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Wouldn't wrecking with 10/12oz of lead be a problem with fixedspool as control is much easier with a muiltplier on the way down,and yes the kenzaki are great rods

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Because as someone already pointed out i find it much easier to control a multiplier on the drop than a fixed spool

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Because as someone already pointed out i find it much easier to control a multiplier on the drop than a fixed spool
Hi ,

ok thank's ... i thought it had something to do with the rod , but it's just personal preference .

Gert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts