World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a stroll on the beach and found a shakespeare boat rod and mitchell reel washed up .

It has been in the water a long time judging by the kelp growing off it !
Needs some attention is an understatement !;)
Always thought i might catch a lost rod one day but was hoping for a zziplex !:)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes shame there wasnt a maffiss Ray or Cod on the end still that pulle dit in lol
Have never yet found a fish on lost gear , apart from a small codling i wound in on a set of tackle i lost an hour before !

The line on the beachcombed reel is the best bit of it !

·
Registered
806 Posts
I wonder but by chance somebody found a washed up rod and reel and on the end was a record fish still and you landed it. Would it be yours to claim the record.........just me and strange thoughts lol.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was carp fishing (sorry ! ) in a lake near me with my son last year and a rod & reel "swam" past us on the surface !!
- It turned out an angler down the end of the lake wasn't watching his rod & a carp had it off him, and was swimming around the lake towing it behind it ! , he did get his rod back eventually as a few weeks later another angler caught the rod (minus the fish ) and handed it in to the bailiff .
SO - moral of the story - watch your rod !!!!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was carp fishing (sorry ! ) in a lake near me with my son last year and a rod & reel "swam" past us on the surface !!
- It turned out an angler down the end of the lake wasn't watching his rod & a carp had it off him, and was swimming around the lake towing it behind it ! , he did get his rod back eventually as a few weeks later another angler caught the rod (minus the fish ) and handed it in to the bailiff .
SO - moral of the story - watch your rod !!!!!!
That soo brought good memories back when i went on holiday with my grandparents when i was a wee lad about 14.
This was down Wales on Brynteg caravan Park, before it went all posh, the lake at the top was naff during the day so we had ago at night, which we didnt know it wasnt allowed untill one night a chap who had his own static came up and said we were not allowed to night fish. whilst saying i hooked into a low double mirror carp. he was more suprised than me lol.

Next night he arrived at the lake jsut after us, i asked how he was fishing, freelining luncheon meat he said, he had no float,alram or any bite detection and just paid the rod of the dam wall. ` i will hear the rod rattle` he said.

OMG me and gramps wet ourselves laughing as all we heard was a plop in the water and a bow wave going out to the middle of the lake on the calm moon lit lake. Like a scene out of Jaws lol.
Best bit was he had a small tender dinghy near the boat house, he rowed out and we watch for 10 mins the boat going around and around and just laughing. He wast impressed at us laughing lol. even though it was a bit bigger than what i caught the night before.
He went up every night that two week was there lol.

That made our holiday and one of our best fishing memories. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm glad that brought back some "good" memories for you !!
The amazing thing is - about 1 hr before that happen I hooked in to a snag
and rather than pull for a brake I worked it carefully and eventually got it moving
only to reel in a rather slimy looking carp rod & "big pit" reel !!!!!

This is absolutely true - I kid you not !!!! ( in fact my son still uses the reel )
the first thing I bought when I ventured in to carp fishing was a "bait runner"
as I like to take my rod & reel's home with me !
I just wish Bass bit as confidently as Carp

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wish Bass bit as confidently as Carp
They do, they scream off !

I use a carp rod in a sand spike for bass , freelined mackerel head close to the waters edge.

If you do not slacken the clutch it's rod gone or line snapped before the sandwich you were eating hits the ground !:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts