World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been repairing the odd eye here and there as they break and getting quite a good finish using the two part high build from veals until it ran out and needed to buy some more. Not wanting to wait the other day so i trolled the local tackle shops and to my surprise i found one shop in nottingham who had one pack left. It turned out to be seymo which i understand to be one of the best high builds on the market. The stuff i had been using goes off quicker and had been ok to sit turning the rod for this amount of time but not liking turning for four hours i decided to buy a device (hence post). Looked at the fly rotator with rod chuck on web and got put off by price so looked for a slow rotating motor in maplins and found this.

It has a rotation of 280 per minute but with gears to slow it down further and think it is now set about 1+1/2 turns per second. As you can see i added a battery point to match the 1.5 v motor and mounted the whole thing on a frame. I now need to attach a system where i can fit various sizes of rod section and was thinking of using different size rubber corks the type used for wine making and then ballance the other end with probably a V shaped small card board box.
Could any of the pro rod builders on here offer me some advise on my set up and point me right if there is anywhere i am going wrong. All input is appreciated as i am looking forward to testing my yolk!
P.S The motor system was Just short of a tenner and the battery holder was under a quid for those who are interested.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I use a modified rock tumbler left over from my wife's gemstone and pebble polishing days... Works for me and cost me nothing :D

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Hi mate
Any chance of sorting out the photos I can't open them

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Are your RPM`s right, even reduced to 1.5 / second that`s 90 RPM, the resin will hit the wall at that speed.

I`ve got four dryers in a sealed box, complete Flex Cote system. They are all turning at 18 RPM which makes it easy to apply the resin whilst they are turning. Think you should look at reducing the RPM quite a bit.

As to the other end for support, couple of chair castors from the local DIY shop or two model aeroplane wheels on a wooden support to give you something like the pics. The butt end of the rod simply pushes into the rubber turning heads which can expand. Smaller blanks simply get built up with tape or bit of old grip or whatever until they fit.

Attachments

1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry jack my pics have dissapeared before and think its a problem with the site so i have left the attachments on this time and added them large again.

1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked at the speed again and have guessed the rotation speed which takes about a second and a half to complete one rotation. I have an extra two cogs should i add them? with the two added it takes about five seconds to complete one rotation.

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Adding two additional cogs will bring it to about 12 RPM which sound a lot easier to work with.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My Hubby has used an old microwave turntable motor, which give him about 33turns per minute

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could I use a drill that has an adjustable speed setting on the trigger as a drying motor.

Regards the photos I can not open them unless I register which I have done awaiting the E Mail to confirm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts