World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rod now has a few scrapes on it from light use. What is the best routine for keeping you rod well maintained.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just wipe it down with a damp cloth (fresh water) at the end of each fishing trip to remove salts and sand, dont rest it on concrete breakwaters or rusty old railings etc.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi pce 207,

I agree with all that Barrie has said, one other thing I would add, is that you check your rod rings every time you clean your rod, especially the tip ring.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I get some very fine grade wet and dry abrasive paper, 800 grade, get some water with a touch of washing up liquid and very gently rub all the sections, this should remove scratches, then rinse with clean water,.

Then revarnish the blank, often a decent tackle dealer will do a better job.

I personally get my rods varnished every season IF they need it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You can also get something called a "ROD MONKEY", Instead of clipping to rails you clip it on your blank and when you rest it against anything will protect your rod.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Spray your rods after cleaning with wd40 this will build up a protective coat of silicone and help to protect the finish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
gusangus said:
Spray your rods after cleaning with wd40 this will build up a protective coat of silicone and help to protect the finish.
Good idea apart from the fact that WD40 doesn't contain silicone, infact there is a large yellow square on the can that I looked at which says "WD40 has been Silicone free since first invented" :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since your talking about putting a coat of silicon on the rod - would a good quality car polish be suitable as a protective film

·
Registered
303 Posts
I stand corrected I use "three r plus" which has got silicone and any product that has silicone will do the trick, so why not car polish? it protects car paintwork so try it, can't do any harm,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Car polish would be fine as this will build up a coat of wax over time which will help to keep the elements out, personally I'm not that protective over my fishing gear I keep them clean, lube the reels every 5 or 6 fishing trips and thats about it, I'm normally looking to replace my gear with the next new thing every 2 or three years anyway.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Having used a pole in coarse fishing for many years and because of constantly breaking the pole sections apart, clean joints are essential, so after every use I always used ordinary household furniture polish ( Mr Sheen etc.). This also contains silicone and doesn't cost anything if the missus' doesn't find out.

Cheers
Arct.
;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Geoff_Jubb said:
You can also get something called a "ROD MONKEY", Instead of clipping to rails you clip it on your blank and when you rest it against anything will protect your rod.
I have used normal pipe lagging for this in the past

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
My R.T. Bass rod's top section does not meet the bottom section very well " After a few casts the top starts to swivel round" how can i get them to join together better ?
Any Ideas Guys.
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are graphite sprays on the market but I have never used them. Why not try rubbing a pencil on the offending part.

The basic idea is you need to add a very small (Microns) amount of extra material to the loose joint but not so much as you end up with a one piece rod. Another idea would be to paint a couple of stripes of varnish (Very thinly) along the joint and then rub them down until you get a tight fit.

Don't paint all around the joint, just a couple of small stripes. When you take a rod joint apart you need air to get in, so by doing it in stripes you still have an airway.

Bob

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Thanks Bob, I'll try that. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use graphite spray I do the joint on my uptider every year it.s now 6 years old and still going strong you should be able to get it in your tackle shop for a couple of quid, one can has lasted me 4 years and there is still half left.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Simple, dont go fishing, you kill two birds with one stone, you protect your rod, & you dont blank! You can then come on here & tell us quite truthfully, that you have'nt blanked in 12 months! Poacher is thinking of doing the same!!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Going back to the original question; No matter how often you polish and clean your rod, if it gets knocked over either on a boat or on the beach it will get
scratched. if they are deep scratches there is nothing you can do to remove them. You can polish them and spray them with whatever, they are there for life.

After each trip wash your rod with warm soapy water, dry it and most important of all, as I have said previously, check the rings for damage. A damaged ring can play havoc with your line, especially if it is braid. Give it a polish to make it look good and that's that. There is nothing else you can do to maintain your rod.

If eventually the joint becomes loose, a rub with some candle wax helps to tighten it up. When buying a rod always try the joint, if it is loose it will never tighten and will always be a problem, make sure it is very snug. This is always a problem on massed produced rods, both sections are made independently and are then paired off at a later date.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i usually keep a packet of wet wipes in my box and wipe my rods down with those.it keeps them sparkling clean and you can thread them through and around the rings to get all the salt and **** off them as well!a small pack takes up very little room in your box either

1 - 20 of 21 Posts