World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to everyone at wsf,went fishing at abbotsbury (chesil) on sunday with my boy,the mackerel were in but at a distance,my boy tried for 5 hours to catch one but just could'nt cast far enough,this got him a little upset so i let him reel in a couple of mine but it's just not the same as catching your own,anyway can anyone recomend a rod a 10 year old can cast a reasonable distance with, budget up to 40 pound... oh yes ,at present he's using an old sidney jarvis 9ft carbon salmon rod ...any recomendations would be much apreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Blankerman

before you buy a new rod for your son...what is the line strength on is reel which sort of reel is it fixedspool or multi....you could change the line to something about 8lb and for him to use leads of only 2oz. cut down the feathers so there are only 2 feathers on the rig. make sure he does have a leader on the reel line of 30lb. if you want the same strength line 12/15lb as normal...try buying a line with a thinner diamiter berkley TriMax is about half the dia at 17lb...16mm as 15lb normal line at 35mm this makes a big differance when casting..... a reel of the thinner line might be £6.00 or so....

if you still want to buy a new rod you could take a look here http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_Catalogue_Rods___rod_building_83.html they are only in bristol so you drop in and get there advice....
they have some great priced combos at below or just above your price range..

I hope this helps :) :)

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
nice one bassbites. thats what i was going to suggest. ultima black ice line, is excellent as well. you can pick up all this on ebay. i use a 9ft light spinning rod, on occasions, penn devilstik. nice little rod, and it cost about £20. good huntin :) matt

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Some great advice above, but sometimes a 10 ten old just won't be able to reach the fish no matter what rod you buy. My son is 11, and sometimes I just cast for him, and hand the rod straight over, and he has to hook them and do the rest.

Are there any piers in the area that you can take your son close to the fish, if the fish won't come close to you?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Know exactly how he feels and I passed 10 well .... some time ago! The advice already given is sensible and realistic. However one way out is to fish venues which do hold fish close in. The rod he has is very good and with the advice regarding changing line weight and number of lures etc. he'll do well in many rocky venues that I fish in Anglesey, for example. Fine but perhaps 'God's-little-acre' is not on your lsit of places to fish with him.

I'm sure though that he's already been brought up to appreciate that he won't catch everytime he goes out. Methinks he won't be put off, but it must have been a test of character to see all around reeling them in. Took me 10 good years fishing sensibly, with good bait etc. before my first Bass came struggling in, when I was 14! (wish I could remember how I did it!) My son still catches more Mackeral than me when we go feathering and I can outcast him (he's 34 now!) His 'best' rod is my Daiwa Bass, 11'6" and 2oz to cast. Your lad could use some of the newer, lighter versions, though mine is very gentle on the arms. However, if pushed, i'd recomend a 2.75lb test curve, 12' (or is it 13'?) Carp rod, made in China and bought for £20 (though i've seen one similar for £10 now!)

By the way my first Bass was on a 10' Wooden, Mahogany, rod (stiff as Firewood, though it finished as a bean pole) and a centre-pin reel (yes I am that old!) so you'll realise that casting was not an important criteria.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice,at present he's using 12lb line and already using 2 feathers so perhaps i,ll do the casting for him until he gets better or the fish closer .a few weeks ago he did actually manage to hook a bass (his only fish so far) but the hook snapped...by the way pobolycwn, :) is the ichifani 500 anygood or is it as i suspect just for adults

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes Pobol

Do give us a user review of the ichifani 500 - I can't wait personally.

Oh, I'm a mod - perhaps you'd better not then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts