World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my son is 11 and can cast 70-80 yards (OTG) with a salt bass which he has had for a few years now, i would like to get him something a little bit more powerful but it would probably need to be a similar length and casting weight for his size

has anyone any suggestions. i was thinking greys bze or daiwa supercast bass as being slightly more powerful, something he could start to use more powerful techniques

·
Registered
324 Posts
I started my lad with a BZE 3-5 casting OTG , he was only 10/11 at the time and used to accompany me to the SSA events where he soon progressed to the pendulum . Although rung for multi he used to cast it with a Diawa 6000t fixed spool and had distances to 165yds on the 75g by the time he was 12 . I then moved him on to a zziplex profile which progressed him up around the 180 mark again on the 75 g I couldnt get him to go any heavier than the 100g as he said he didnt want to beat Iain Graham and Billy Russell on the big leads :laugh:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Abu esprit and cut a foot off the butt section, nice light rods and easy to load also won't break the bank.JJ

G

·
How things have changed,

When I was 11, back in the 60's :eek:hmy: I certainly couldn't cast those distances with the gear I had.

It's great to get the young ones into fishing, I started mine young too.

Bill

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
At his age, his tendons are like jelly, and can be easily damaged; think Ballet dancers. The females are not allowed to go on points until past 16 years old. It might be a macho thing for your youngster to go with the men in a high-power sport. Ask a coach in any sport about training youngsters; breaking records and power are not a consideration. FUNdamentals come first. A spinning rod casting to 3oz, or a carp rod of perhaps 21/2lb TC at 11 feet, with a 4000/4500 size reel would be more than enough. As a qualified and licensed angling coach, I have this type of problem many times each year. Think of 25 years on - will your eager youngster thank you for encouraging the use of equipment for those 10 years older than he is. Simple answer - DON'T.

PTR

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Phil has made some very valid points which should adhered to by some adults !!

Muscles, tendons & ligaments can all be damaged during casting. This is more so during the colder months, just ask a certain Angling publication editor !!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies, still not too sure which rod to go for, I think I will stick with the 11ft 6 bass rods but try and find one abit more powerful

he has tried casting with my 13ft rods but the extra length is too much for him at this stage

Thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
906 Posts
my 9 yr old has just started using the 12' equal section zippy bass and its a step up from what hes been using but still forgiving enough for him to use. i would think an 11yr old would cope with this fairly easy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What about one of juliens anyfish anywheres 12ft 4 and bait rods there nice rods and there cheap and if and when he gets used to it you can move him on to the 6 and bait

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.