World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, hoping for views on rods for chucking heavier surface lures and metals from the shore when theres a bit of a sea on. Rods i have are rated 30g and 35g, but feel a bit undergunned with a big P or a 30g metal.

Too many to blindly choose on the web, keen to get views from those in the know.

Cheers SC

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
get a 50 to 60
your not undergunned
and u can wack the crap out of them casting anything
ive an afaw 60gram
feels real safe

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Your current rods should cope with those, no?
Depends on what the current rods are I guess? A rod rated 35g should chuck 30 though?
I can only recommend what I have and that’s the Tailwalk Eginn 10’6 which is rated to 45g.
I got it to cast the heavier lures my Skyroad 9’6 struggled with but it’s so good I know use it for everything, Skyroad has since been sold on.
It’s good for about 40g max.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
get a 50 to 60
your not undergunned
and u can wack the crap out of them casting anything
ive an afaw 60gram
feels real safe
That’s my next buy, a rod that I can absolutely leather out 40g metals but still retain a bit of touch.
It’s the Shimano Exscence Genos rated to 56g or the 70g version, just got to wait for it to come back in stock in Japan.

Reactions: lipslicker

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I hear what you're saying. Even though a rod maybe rated to 35g when conditions are lively the wind resistance probably turns a 28g lure in to a heavier lure or does have an effect on the unloading of the rod. It makes sense to get a heavier rated rod to compensate the extra stress on the rod. Especially if you think most rods perform better below their casting rating. It's probably worth looking at rods with a larger casting range with a very low and high end..like 10-50g rather than 15-42g.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That’s my next buy, a rod that I can absolutely leather out 40g metals but still retain a bit of touch.
It’s the Shimano Exscence Genos rated to 56g or the 70g version, just got to wait for it to come back in stock in Japan.
If it's any help at all, both the 9' and 10' 48g Genos rods can absolutely blast 40g lures out there yet still retain lots of "feel". I own the 9' version and I have fished a fair bit with the 10' version, a friend now owns it and can't put it down. Haven't yet fished any bass conditions where I thought these rods were undergunned with what lures I needed to get out there...............

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Shimano nessa limited 100mh+,10-56,max jig 65grams,this rod casts my biggest lure rapala max rock n roll like its a long range ballistic missile.! Best part it's a 3pc rod !

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
bloody hell dan 70grams
u after tarpon pmsfl

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies gents, much appreciated. I new what Nick would say ;).

What rods don't I have more like :confused:. I have the eginn 9'6 rated 35g, great rod, love it but don't fancy giving it welly with 30g/35g lures too often. The post a few days ago asking for views on the Eginn 9ft 6, reminded me i had to go look for another fishing stick:D hence this post.

Yes it copes ok with 30g but voice in the background says be careful or you'll break it

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This whole issue of max weight for a rod must be very subjective. I’ve seen a few casters now and most are probably not getting close to loading a rod to the max. One or two go way beyond... casting style must play a huge part
How a rod is loaded.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I use a Shakespeare agility 2 MPV..
it seems to work for me with dexter wedges, metals and heavy lures. I've just got a sampson enticer lure 50gms for casting into heavy surf or rough seas and this rod will handle it ok I reckon.
https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/sha...FH2HJhG0KpN32WSnhljf_OxEgbu4KStxoC-cMQAvD_BwE
..ps..I'm still waiting to catch a lured bass so take any advice from me as nothing more than enthusiastic optimism..:redface:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Dont discount the century Graphix , loads of feel and the perfect rod for big seas , it hammers out 40grm metals with ease .

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
bloody hell dan 70grams
u after tarpon pmsfl
You may well have a point baz, reading Henry’s comments about the rods rated to 40 odd still having plenty in reserve at the top end have steered me towards getting the 56g rated Genos.
Think the 70g might be too much as I don’t intend going above 50g lures.

Reactions: rockhopper 1956

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
@DanTe all four of my lure rods are shimano and of the three I have taken up to ( and over) the top end of their rating none of them has left me feeling like I have been pushing my luck. When ever I am looking for another rod it will almost certainly be another shimano.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for views & comments.

Century Graphex looks the mutts.
Whilst looking at the Genos saw there's a Dialuna model. 9ft6, also rated to 56g.

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
Dialuna model. 9ft6, also rated to 56g.
Try and get hands on one before committing. I have the 9ft6 45g and while I respect it because of what it can do I just can't bring myself to like it.

My other rods are soft tipped and I get on with them very well, the dialuna is stiff tipped and the action is severe enough that certain lures wobble away on the cast rather than go away smoothly, costing distance. Doubtless my casting doesn't help but it is just not growing on me. It gives significantly less feel of what is going on in the cast and with lures in the water than my other rods (shimano sustain x2 and an 84g technium for the heavy stuff) to the point I am looking at getting a 8ft10 42g technium and semi retiring the dialuna, only bringing it out when the extra length is needed.

I am convinced the dialuna 45g would be a better rod in either 10ft or 10ft6. I would imagine a 56g 9ft6 dialuna would be a pretty severe rod to cast.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts