World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have a wifey/girlfriend that fishes?

My misses went fishing with us the other day and used her brothers Penn telescopic, using silvers for Mackerel, and really liked it. To be honest for her first time casting I was amazed and she has picked it up a lot quicker than other people I know.

She has now said she wants a rod, but I don't like the telescopics. Does anyone have any suggestions, I was thinking something around 9-10ft which could be a bit of an all rounder i.e. Pier, Spin, Beach etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
767 Posts
My partner princessflymo uses my old rod, 12 ft silstar surf, it is very light but too soft for rough ground. the rods i use are to heavy really for her to cast.

:)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Rather tahn go for a short rod, which never quite work as well as you'd have hpe, why not try on eof the 'bass' versions of normal beaach casters, theShakespear Powerplay Bass rod is excellent, it's slim and stil has plenty of power to do some proper surf fishing. That or the odessa bass, either rod will do exactly what you want.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Vaughan,

My suggestion would be an Uptider. These rods in my opinion are the most underated of all sea fishing rods. They can be used for all aspects of our sport, doubling up as boat, pier, beachcasters, etc. etc. It is my favourite rod when I use Storm Shads or jellies.

However don't buy a cheapie, they can be like a broomstick.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Marcus,

Where I fish from I don't sweep the piers or boats, I fish from them!!!!!

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Chris,

Your wife fishes with a Rolls Royce. I used one on board a charter a few months ago and found it a "Fantastic rod" but as you know I will not purchase anything with the Penn name on it, no matter how good it is.

Did you have to purchase a reel with it?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
She saw them in Sea Dangler and 'had to have one of those, they look so nice'. End of, trip to tackle shop to get both.

They are a superb rod and reel, but not worth the price IMHO. The rod snapped at the ferrule on her first fish, a doggy. The reel siezed after a season and the handle fell off. But..........they are both Gold coloured. :D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Took me a while! Great way to put partner/wife/nurse off fishing - give them stuff you wouldn't use yourself even if it's colour co-ordinated (whatever that is? Has it something to do with African vicars?))

This site did have some excellent female anglers who catch a lot. They will no doubt put us all right. Light weight, modern blanks with plenty of power and not too long will allow the angler concerned to use all her Biological grace (and cunning) to deliver a baited trace perfectly. I wonder about some of the newer, 'continental' rods by Grauvell might fit the bill? They seem to do out-and-out expensive stuff at present but 'combo' deals are available. In my experience, most able-bodied ladies have at least my strength and much, much more natural co-ordination. I do catch occasionally, so will they!

There was an article in Sea Angler recently where Alan Yates was tutoring a lady caster (Real Beauty and the beast stuff) It was very instructive, in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts