World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title reads really what do you chaps suggest would be the right type of rod to use ?? My first time fishing for them tomorrow thanx in advance for your reply .......paddy

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi,
I use a few different rods for drifting on the shambles for turbot.
When the tides are small you could use a spinning rod, usually I use boat rods of 6 to 12 lb class. Something like a diawa Kenzaki or ugly stik?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Get yourself a Daiwa Kensaki 6-12lb and 12-20lbs class and they will handle all the Turbot you can catch. I have had quite a few big doubles up to 20lbs on the 12-20lbs class rod and the 6-12lbs class is great fun on the smaller Turbot and Plaice. Billy Furnish.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Another vote for the Kenzaki 12:20, cracking all rounder. Generally you want a boat rod with a very soft tip for turbot fishing.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Which port you heading out of? as if its Weymouth I doubt you'll be drifting all day for the turbos, you'll probably be doing some anchoring up, and if you do go after the rays you'll need a 2nd, heavier rod....but if your after turbot all day, then yeah a 12-20lb will be perfect for them :)

Jim

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i think an uptider would work but ive never tested the theory

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
I have used a 6lb class up to a 150lb class and they all work, Its getting the bait in front of them when they are hungry that is the Key to success.

ETEC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts