World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I know there is a rod advice but on here but I thought it would be better to get advice from the locals of the area

So I’m currently using an old beaten up gets Apollo, love the rod but it’s falling apart now had it 2nd hand from a mate 6 years ago, so I’m upgrading and want to get a zippy, I’ll be fishing mainly mixed ground around our shore chasing hounds,cod rays and down west for Huss on the odd occasion, I’d say my casting ability is average, been looking at the bullet GT HI Flex and also the M4 GT, can you guys help me out with any recommendations, thanks in advance

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
Great deal of good rods out there at the moment mate .what I would say is look for a fishing rod rather than a casting rod.i myself fish with the afaw range .I find them very used friendly and good along our local coastline,I'm sure some of the others will give you advice on their choice of rods .p/s sonic are about to release a new shore rod that I have seen on test very impressive and reasonable price

·
Registered
934 Posts
I got a pair of m4gt's best bit of kit I've had in a long time the bite detection is 2nd to none and the sit beautifully in the tide, iv e had rays upto 10lb hounds up to 15lb on them (cod to 4lb lol!!) match them up with good pair of multipliers and off u go

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
A few rods come to mind Anyfish Anywhere pro match lots of fishing qualities and user friendly the other rod is a Zziplex bullet GT I use both rods combined with a Saltist 20 black and gold they go really well there's also the T900 by century nice tip and will suit the type of ground your going to be fishing.
The list is endless if I was you go to Keens most of the rods are there and the lads there are really helpful.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
hi guys, I know there is a rod advice but on here but I thought it would be better to get advice from the locals of the area

So I’m currently using an old beaten up gets Apollo, love the rod but it’s falling apart now had it 2nd hand from a mate 6 years ago, so I’m upgrading and want to get a zippy, I’ll be fishing mainly mixed ground around our shore chasing hounds,cod rays and down west for Huss on the odd occasion, I’d say my casting ability is average, been looking at the bullet GT HI Flex and also the M4 GT, can you guys help me out with any recommendations, thanks in advance
You wont go far wrong in what you have said , bullet gt is a good rod.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great deal of good rods out there at the moment mate .what I would say is look for a fishing rod rather than a casting rod.i myself fish with the afaw range .I find them very used friendly and good along our local coastline,I'm sure some of the others will give you advice on their choice of rods .p/s sonic are about to release a new shore rod that I have seen on test very impressive and reasonable price
Thanks for the reply mate, I’ve had a 6&bait and did t get along with it, also got two soniks, the xtr surf and rough, great rods so I may wait until the new one is released but going to try and find a M4 gt to handle

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a pair of m4gt's best bit of kit I've had in a long time the bite detection is 2nd to none and the sit beautifully in the tide, iv e had rays upto 10lb hounds up to 15lb on them (cod to 4lb lol!!) match them up with good pair of multipliers and off u go
Thanks for the reply, I’m leaning toward these rods, I’m going to shop around on Sunday and see if I can get one in my hands first though! Going to have it rung up for fix spool also! Great reviews on these rods

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few rods come to mind Anyfish Anywhere pro match lots of fishing qualities and user friendly the other rod is a Zziplex bullet GT I use both rods combined with a Saltist 20 black and gold they go really well there's also the T900 by century nice tip and will suit the type of ground your going to be fishing.
The list is endless if I was you go to Keens most of the rods are there and the lads there are really helpful.
Thanks for the reply! I’ve been told the bullet GT is a really stiff rod? And I haven’t even thought about century so I’ll look into those a bit more also, like you said, we all prefer different so I’m going to have a look about and try and get my hands on them before buying

·
Banned
217 Posts
Seem to be a few used ones about at the minute already rung for fixed spool. Maidstone Angling have one for £350, Kevin Cloke is trying to sell on for same money. You would have to add postage costs but a new one is over £500.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seem to be a few used ones about at the minute already rung for fixed spool. Maidstone Angling have one for £350, Kevin Cloke is trying to sell on for same money. You would have to add postage costs but a new one is over £500.
Thanks terry! I’ll take a look

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the M4 GT is particularly a rough ground rob but is it completely out of its depth in the rough? Like aberthaw or for example st David’s ect? I don’t fish the marks a great deal

·
Registered
934 Posts
If u wanna drag your gear through the kelp and stuff I'd go for a heavier rod, but I've used the m4gt down Porthkerry Llantwit major and they are super rough ground and had no problems (as long as your using rot bot) any rod will catch a fish the only problem is 95% of us fishermen are tackle tarts and have to have the best lol!! Get your hands on a few mentioned and you'll know for sure which one u like best

Jason

·
Banned
217 Posts
A really good rod that often gets overlooking in these discussions is the HST and HST Evo. I have used the M4 range down at the casting club but never been tempted as my HST dymic Evo is, for me, a better rod. People jump from the M4's to the bullet rods as if there was nothing in between but for my money the HST is a great rod

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If u wanna drag your gear through the kelp and stuff I'd go for a heavier rod, but I've used the m4gt down Porthkerry Llantwit major and they are super rough ground and had no problems (as long as your using rot bot) any rod will catch a fish the only problem is 95% of us fishermen are tackle tarts and have to have the best lol!! Get your hands on a few mentioned and you'll know for sure which one u like best

Jason
Thanks for your reply! It’s not going to be often I’m dragging over kelp ect, so I’m thinking the M4 GT is going to be top choice! Once it’s in my hands I’ll have a better idea, this is the problem, ive gone from £120 rods to £500 plus, I’m catching the tackle tart bug lol!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A really good rod that often gets overlooking in these discussions is the HST and HST Evo. I have used the M4 range down at the casting club but never been tempted as my HST dymic Evo is, for me, a better rod. People jump from the M4's to the bullet rods as if there was nothing in between but for my money the HST is a great rod
I’ll have a look at the HST, like you said, I never gave it a thought

·
Banned
217 Posts
I’ll have a look at the HST, like you said, I never gave it a thought
Not as many about as the M4 but worth finding one if you can. The only advantage I can see with the M4 range is a bit better bite detection for small fish with the M4GT, no advantage at all with the M4 EVO and I really have no idea what the M4 Hi Flex is all about. Unless you have Jeremy Beadle hands the HST is as thin a blank as you will ever need.

The other rod to consider would be the new Century TT Sport Graphex. I haven't used one yet but hearing good reviews from folk that would know. Certainly worth a punt if you have £520 to spend, got to have better resale than an M4GT if you don't like it.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You mentioned you want a fixed spool rod for mixed work. The AFAW GB FS Pro is the perfect rod 5-7oz, slim, great tip, doesn't wobble about in the wind, strong and with great casting ability. Nothing by Century or Zziplex is even comparable. I have tried most top end rods and these are simply outstanding.

Buy one used if you can and be aware that a lot of the recommended rods are more for multiplier use. I'm not sure if some of the guys making comments actually use fixed spools!!

The FS pro is designed and rung as a top end FS rod. The super soft match tips are not great for fixed spool, ideally something that recovers to a stop quickly is best or you may get snatchy release, ring wraps, crack offs.

·
Banned
327 Posts
You mentioned you want a fixed spool rod for mixed work. The AFAW GB FS Pro is the perfect rod 5-7oz, slim, great tip, doesn't wobble about in the wind, strong and with great casting ability. Nothing by Century or Zziplex is even comparable. I have tried most top end rods and these are simply outstanding.

Buy one used if you can and be aware that a lot of the recommended rods are more for multiplier use. I'm not sure if some of the guys making comments actually use fixed spools!!

The FS pro is designed and rung as a top end FS rod. The super soft match tips are not great for fixed spool, ideally something that recovers to a stop quickly is best or you may get snatchy release, ring wraps, crack offs.
I bought one recently after trying out so many different top end mid range & by far AFAW GB PRO FS won hands down for fixed spool use unbelievable power great bite detection & if you slightly miss time your cast you still see the lead sailing out there so very user friendly handles rough no problem it’s a rod for every occasion I’ve also got a 6 & bait but this is soon going to be sold for another GB PRO give one ago & see what you think stop being a tackle tart & going for the ferraris & Lambos nothing wrong with a Jag lol

·
Banned
217 Posts
If you want a bargain the Sonik ZX 225 can be had for about £150 from Uttings. It has K guides so can be used with fixed spool and they do a 14ft 5 version. I have used my 13ft5 rod with fixed spool down the butt and it casts well.

That said, I do agree with the comments on the GB FS Pro I love mine and would like to get another. Have a look at Owen Moyle on Youtube to see one throwing a lead.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts