World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got delivery of a couple of new travel rods (Top marks to Gerry's of Morecombe - 24 hrs delivery :wiggle:)

Now, normally when I put a rod together it is never taken apart again. Obviously that's not the situation with travel rods.

I was just wondering if anyone, more knowledgable than I, could say whether the joints should be lubed slightly? The rod is a Penn Powerstik pro travel rod.. when I test fitted it up last night the joints are so nicely tight that I did not push the sections all the way home as I did not really want to find out I should have done something first!!

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The rod should be fine as is mate, and I doubt you will be able to push it all the way in anyway as most rods these days leave room for wear around the spigot area at a guess for a smaller rod I would between 5-10mm should still show,
Hope that's of use to you buddy :thumbs:

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
I've just got delivery of a couple of new travel rods (Top marks to Gerry's of Morecombe - 24 hrs delivery :wiggle:)

Now, normally when I put a rod together it is never taken apart again. Obviously that's not the situation with travel rods.

I was just wondering if anyone, more knowledgable than I, could say whether the joints should be lubed slightly? The rod is a Penn Powerstik pro travel rod.. when I test fitted it up last night the joints are so nicely tight that I did not push the sections all the way home as I did not really want to find out I should have done something first!!

Thanks for any advice
:sun:You can "lube" the joints with graphite, a pencil will do the job, especially a broad "chippies" one. This will prevent the joints sticking and cut down on wear and it won't contaminate the blank as there's graphite in most blanks anyway.:sun:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i never lubricate rod joints this promotes axellorated wear imo just keep the joints free from grease & sand etc if you do need to clean the joints meths on a rag does the job :fishing:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Lubricate with graphite - nothing else.

If you use liquid - including spit - you could create a vacuum within the joint when you assembled the rod and never get it apart again!

:nerd:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts