World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if your joints are lose and warne get a can of carbon spray from the tackle shop from someone like maver, preston etc this is used mainly for pole joints but spray the male end eveanly and this will wear befor the spigot

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
Or do like i did,as suggested by the numerous rod builders on here.....

Cut a bit off the female joint.......

Not too much mind !!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO DONT DO IT PUT THE SAW AWAY
i would not evan entertain that you could damage the blank for thr sake of £6 try some we use this on poles costing up to £4000 for canal fishing and i makes then last longer use it a hand full of times then start to use it trust me its a better practise

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
I am a coarse match angler first and foremost Mak,so I know how much poles cost.... I have got two !!!!!!!

I used a very fine tooth junior hacksaw to do it,(on an old glass rod),and took literally 1/4 " off the female section,sanded it,re-whipped it,then re varnished it,and it is as good as new.......

Wouldn't dream of doing the same to carbon,I would send it to esselle for scott to do........

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
True.......

Which is why I use candle wax....................

The rod I bought like it,(Just started sea fishing last year,and at first,taped the joints up when using it,then looked at that shrink wrap stuff,but the numerous rod builders on here,all said just nibble a bit off the female joint,so I did......

The spigot is now lightly coated in wax,doesn't get stuck,and should last a bit before wearing again..........

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
if i cut a bit off with my look it would splinter
The trick is to not apply too much pressure.........

Just gently tease it into the rod,and not use too long a stroke......

And no,I won't re-phrase that !!!!!!!! LOL

And as you get to the other side,slowly cut away,til the bit drops off,then use a very fine wet and dry,to smooth it off...........

Trust me,if I can do it,anyone can !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I've been a pro rodbuilder for 30 years. I use the trim method, but don't use a saw, I use what the mfrs use...a grinder. Don't bother with the "carbon" sprays if you don't trust yourself to saw or grind, use black car spray, make sure you mask off the areas you don't want black. Cheap as chips (even they aren't cheap any more), and lasts ages. When you can see the carbon grey starting to show, respray. Easy.

philtherod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts