World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Id say no but depends what you want from it and how your style of casting is i know it doesnt suit mine and im taller only a nats cok tho lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am the same height as you but am of heavier build. A 14 ft rod is not too much to cast, but I am far more comfortable casting 13ft to 13'6". The weight and balance of the rod also seem to affect us short-rses more so than the big fellas. Going shorter and lighter actually increased my rod tip speed and hence my casting distances.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi depends on several factors - some people are natural at putting a bend in - others have to work at it - generally you should be OK - but trying it out first is the way to go

if its not too far away - consider going as a dayticket to a casting association event (if any are left as its the end of the season) and I am sure someone will let you have a chuck with a 14fter

alternatively book a lesson or two for a casting coach - they are usually tackle tarts with a good range of rods to try out...

you'll be surprised if you have never been coached dbefore and are an average caster - one lesson with an instructor can add 50 yds onto your cast ina single lesson - and you'll be sure about the 14fter one way or the other

careful though - casting can be very addictive :nonono:

if you can get to torquay I have a TTR at 14.3 you could try out - if you use a fixed spool though you'd have to bring one or two along - all have is multis

i also have a CM 13.6 but could be extended with the reducer - and a Wr300 at 13.3 but again extendable with the reducer

al

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did briefly own an AFAW 14 ft big beach rod a few years ago but I only used it for lobbing big conger baits a short distance and then had to sell it. Now I have the chance to buy it back. I dont cast very well, just an overhead thump really, but I think its time I started using proper casting techniques to get some distance (I was looking at some vids of the easy cast or brighton cast and will probably try that) I remember the big beach felt nice and smooth and powerfull but I dont know if it would be too much to handle if I started trying to cast it properly or whether a shorter rod would be better.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You might have to watch a pendulum cast because of the swoopy sweep but if you learn an Off The Ground cast or similar I don't think 14' will be a problem on a flat beach. And if it is, as selseybilly says a careful 15 minutes with a hacksaw could sort it.
You'll also find surprisingly little effort to hit a good distance if you spend a few hours practising OTG.
Reel down will help balance.
The butt section doesn't flex much, especially with a powerful rod so if carefully done (clean cut, no splinters) it won't cause a problem for the action.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Rod length is not the important point its tip to reel that's important. Some stiff tipped rods feel longer than they are too. Action of rod also affects the compressed length.

If your a flat style caster then you might get away with a longer rod but it really depends on style. Im 6 ft 2 and can cast a 16ft rod no problems. A TXL butt with an M427 tip. It just becomes a little more difficult to get the tip down and get any height into the cast. I think it depends on the balance of the rod too. Try an Eliminator and you will see how unbalanced they feel.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Would that affect the action of the rod?
Basically the rod would get slightly stiffer - but the tip action (provided you cut the right end) would remain the same

so for a C curve you might (just) notice the difference - but for a j curve the difference would be marginal since the butt dont bend much anyways

you just lose a bit of leverage - but if the long rod proves too much - then trimming it would help your speed - which would counteract the loss of leverage

so there would be an effect - but not much

and as chukka says its reel to tip thats the key - and you dont have to cut to adjust that!

Liking your plan to start using proper technique - with proper technique, the rod length to height ratio becomes much less important

a lesson or two would be worth its weight in gold

cheers

al

G

·
Ok thanks for a this. So I can try the rod with the reel a foot further up the but and if it feels better like that I can cut a foot off the bottom.
i think u need to change ur cast , most longer rods will feel unbalanced with an oht cast . A 15 ft rod , tip down , butt up eye level weight on beach 10 ft behind u , everything taut and cast , the rod will do most of it for u , no need to thrash

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes thanks for that. I picked the rod up today and will give it a try at the weekend with the weight on the ground behind me.
you should be fine if you improve your technique

but even if you feel overgunned to start - dont cut the rod until you have had some guidance

only cut as a last resort - easy to cut - not so easy to extend

good luck

al

1 - 20 of 28 Posts