World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a thred on this sometime ago and as I remember it wasn't that conclusive , anyway as I now wish to fish the Arun I E-Mailed the enviroment agency and this is the reply I recieved .Hope its of use.

Dear Michael

Thank you for your enquiry regarding rod licences.

The need for a rod licence depends on the species of fish you are trying to catch. If you are fishing for sea fish (bass, flounder, mullet) there is no need for a rod licence.

A rod licence is required when fishing for coarse fish, eels, salmon or sea trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

For enforcement, our staff will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with equipment liable to catch these species. If so we will enforce the licence requirement.

I trust the above information is of assistance to you Michael and that if you have any further queries then please do come back to us.

Kind Regards

Matthew Bembridge
Environment Agency
National Customer Contact Centre
Tel 08708 506 506

·
Registered
229 Posts
As to fishing for eels, rivers that exit into the sea, have demarcation points. Sea ward of these points you can fish for eels with out a licence
But I hasten to add all eels must be returned alive.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I read that reply from them , I think as my mate commented , "They are covering their arse both ways, Not the decisive response I was after .

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep that's not a very clear answear.What happens if your using freshwater gear&bread/maggotts for Mullet.On one hand your after a sea fish so you don't need a rod license.But it could be argued by agency officer that your after freshwater fish.Your word against theirs-hefty fine if they were to prosecute you.:cc_surren

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to ask agian cos I 'm not happy with the answere that I got , As Hengist said one word against another , and I wouldn't want to rely on where the balance of belief would fall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi

I came across this which suggests a licence is not required when fishing in the sea. It's a few years old and maybe the Angling Trust should be asked if it's still current.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Do_I_Need_A_Licence.html

In July 1996 after much pressure from us (NFSA), the EA secured a piece of legislation which in fact created Excusals from the Licensing of Eel fishing in tidal and Estuarial Waters in England and Wales.

These are predetermined lines set, where suitable, in most estuaries at the High Water Mark but others are at predetermined lines for each river and generally are where the salt water and freshwater meet and we have a list of these.

In practice this means that any angler fishing for eels in the sea will be excused the need for a licence.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The law is pretty vague on catching sea fish in rivers. You might need to ask a series of more explicit questions...but then again, it might be less effort to buy a license and if you caught a sea trout, you would be able to eat it if you got the right license.
Conceivably, you could be using rag intended for bass and be accused of fishing for eels; or use bread for mullet and be accused of fishing for roach/bream; or spinners for mullet/bass and be accused of fishing for salmon / sea trout / pike. The issue revolves around what might be interpreted by a DEFRA official as fishing for sea fish.
Perhaps you need to ask what fishing methods and baits are allowed in various places or how they would distinguish fishing for sea fish as opposed to other possible targets which could give them a lot of writing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.