World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
I dont know.

What I did as a beginner was measure out an area at my local park and cast without a trace.

This gave me a potential maximum distance that I could cast.

Oh and a trowel was needed to dig out the weight after it lodged in the ground.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Come to Steyning next month. You will get a proper measure and after a days casting on court you will have a good idea of how one of your "good" casts feels and how far it goes. Then when you practice you will "know" whether you are doing better or worse based on how it feels compared to how you did on the court.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of how accurate they are, especially over a good distance, but I've used one before just for amusement. It gave me 330ft with 3 baits...

which leads me to believe they might not be spot on :laugh:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I would say not very accurate at all, as all they do is measure the line coming off the reel. This will always be alot more than the actual distance cast, taking into account the bow in the line formed when the lead is falling, extra line being pulled off by sidewinds etc.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
you've got to use it when you reel in, stretching the line as little as possible.
What you mean is that it is inaccurate and only suitable for boat fishing without a tide.:whistling

·
Registered
417 Posts
No, what I mean is that if you want to use one to roughly measure casting distance, then that is the way to do it. If you want a really accurate measurement then go to a casting event.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
No, what I mean is that if you want to use one to roughly measure casting distance, then that is the way to do it.
If!!! is a very rough measurement and and the meter will not work.

If you want a really accurate measurement then go to a casting event.

Therefore what help is a casting meter that is inaccurate?:whistling

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I'm with puddlesplasher on this one. Don't know the practicalities but the accuracy would be way off if it is measuring the amount of line coming of the reel. On the casting court I probably reel in a good 15 - 20 yards of slack between walking off the oche and putting my rod on the rack, and that is on a 200 odd yard cast. Any measure would be way off.

Actually I lied about the practicalities, my guess would be that on the first cast the result would be something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIMljQqvODg

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
It does work, I've done it.

And as I already said, they're not exactly accurate.
What did you do? A casting event? If so then this proves that the theory of a meter is a waste of time.:whistling

Oh sorry you wound in and stretched the cast +/- ?

You are correct and I agree with you. Its all a gimmick.

But, does a meter catch more fish?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts