World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a spinning rod is rated 2-4oz does that literally mean it is no good for weights less than 2oz ie 1oz

·
Registered
410 Posts
:fishing1:well yeah but to be honest that sounds like a serious piece of kit for plugging etc... Think light and powerfull and ye can't go wrong! It is designed to cast weight's in that range! My two current rods are 2g-20g and 5g-40g and I have landed some serious fish on both these pieces of kit!

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,889 Posts
Sounds like a 'lead' rod to me.
My rods tha I use at the moment are rated 1/8-1/4oz, 1/4-5/8oz and 5-40g.
I like short light rods,you need this to get the action into the lure.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
if a spinning rod is rated 2-4oz does that literally mean it is no good for weights less than 2oz ie 1oz
You are correct that the rod will not be good using 1oz weights.

Why?

The rod is rated for a casting weight at which it performs at its optimum range.

So if a 2oz - 4oz rod can cast these weights say 100 - 150 yds - then if you try the same rod with a 1oz weight - you will probably find the distance will be 50-60 yds, no matter how hard you try.

This is as the rod needs to bend adequately under the rated weight to compress and store that energy during the cast, as you let go of the line the momentum, power and stored energy in the rod all release to give you hopefully the cast you want. If you don't bend the rod well - you won't get the maximum distance.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I think it's because generally for UK lure and plugging for Bass most people would use a rod that casts up to 40g and then use lures that on average are no heavier than 30g. Most people are after using the lightest tackle they can get away with, it does make catching a schoolie fun and they can still handle the big one if your lucky enough to hook one.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
thanks for the input, not sure why 2-4oz has recieved such a reaction from serious bit of kit to lead rod ?
the rod i was enquiring about was a salt spinning rod 1-3 oz and the salt mpv 2-4oz both here
http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/salt.html

@ lewisteh thanks for answering my inital question

Lead rod phrase was used i suspect coz you need to stick a lead on the line with your lure to cast it. To heavy for majority of plugs and spinners.

Ive got a 1-3oz salt rod and its a nice rod, but you aint gonna be chucking out a toby, fancy new slug-go or sensibly sized plug with it.

Depends how serious you are about it - will it allow you to do some spinning and float fishing from the shore and be comfortable - well ofcourse it will. But just a read through some of these threads will say why it isnt the perfect tool.

Personally i'm not a hard core lure fisherman, but it is interesting reading the info from those who are. I expect one will be along soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers guys that makes more sense just looking at the patchiko II for example that is 27g in weight which is just a tad under 1 ounce.
so am really better off looking at something like an Ugly Stik Spin 7' 2.10m 2 sections 15 - 50gms for example.

as for seriousness....not really that serious i am more into beachcasting etc and was thinking of the spinning when you get that sudden urge to fish, no bait etc to worry about

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
One more thing Chilli

If you are spinning for very long periods of time, then a lightweight casting rod and low weight lures can be fished for many hours without fatigue on your wrists arms etc.

If you choose something that needs 2 1/2oz to punch out a heavier lure or non streamlined lure - then you can find it can get tiresome after long periods.

The solution I chose was to get a 10-30 gram and a 30-50 gram spinning outfits. This allowed me to take the light gear for nice calm days when I am not casting into a breeze, or the heavier set if I had to tow a lure into a breeze to get some decent distance.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool just need to find a rod now for £50 ish until then will persevere with my shakespear and leeda carp rod's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please forgive me if this is out of place - I don't wish to "hijack" the thread, but I think my question is related enough to be reasonable. I've not tried spinning for bass before and have got myself a Fladen Vantage 9ft (2-piece) rod, rated 10 -40 g (model no is 268-270-1, if that helps/ means anything!?) I've found it in the Fladen catalogue here (bottom left-side):
http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=swgpt#/page32/

Is this the right sort of rod for this type of fishing? Also, can it be used with a multiplier (I've never tried before, but would like to) or should it be used with fixed spool? (I don't know how to tell by looking at it). Finally, if it is suitable, any advice please on what sort of lures/ plugs should I start with and the type/ strength of line (I've never used braid, only mono) needed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no offence here buddy i think your rod and i repeat think in my novice opinion that your fladden is the right type of rod for spinning etc, personally when spinning i would say a fixed spool is the way to go as for plugs/lure try a dexter wedge spinner or a patchiko II or maybe a rapala lure. 8lb line although i have put 14 on mine as that is the lowest i had.
hopefully someone with more know how than me will answer your questions

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hotshot

That rod looks ideal for bass spinning and would be best matched with a fixed spool reel, loaded with 10lb mono. I'd suggest that you don't try braid on a new rod and reel combo if you've never used braid before.

Dexter wedges are fine for getting a bit of distance, but bear in mind that these lures sink when you don't retrieve and can get hung up on rocks and weed if you wind too slowly. ABU Toby lures will fish a little higher in the water.

Plugs to try first off would be shallow diving lures like the Maria Angel Kiss and the Maria Chase SW in 18 - 28 grm weights. These will suit the rod's casting range and not dive too deep. You don't want to loose too many in snags or it will put you off fishing lures.
See - https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Sub_Surface.html
for a good range of bass plugs.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does anyone know what action my Shimano Exage STC Spin 2.40-2.70 will have? I cant seem to find anywhere that tells me and it isnt written on the rod itself. I think its a medium - fast but would just like some confirmation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've had a session spinning with a dexter wedge and also tried some feathering. No sucess yet, but I'll keep trying and see what hapens...! Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts