World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hello

Hello
I&#39;m new to fishing and as I live in Cornwall I would like to try rock fishing.
I will be fishing for mackerel using 3 to 4 feathered/or shrimp type lures with a 2 to 3 oz weight on the end, and also spinning for mackerel,pollack and maybe bass with a 1oz Abu Toby type spoon?
It has been sujested to me that a Bass rod would fit the bill.
My question is:
Will a Shakespeare Odessa Bass Rod(cast weight 2-4oz)lift 4 mackerel on a trace straight out of the sea say 10 feet up a rock face?(when rock fishing).
Also
Could a beachcaster(cast weight 4-6oz)be used to cast 1oz spoons/spinners?If not,then why not?
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I am a complete novice and don&#39;t want to buy the wrong rod
Thanks</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I would say the bass rod is suitable for heavy spinners, float fishing and light legering but I wouldnt advise that you place it under the pressure of lifting 4 mackerel up a 10ft drop.

You can cast spinners with a beachcaster but you will not get any distance what so ever as the rod does not have enough whip and flexabilty for such light weights.

I know its an extra expense but I would suggest that you buy a seperate spinning rod and beachcaster that has the guts to cope with heavy work demanded by rock fishing.</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Hi
I own an Odessa Bass rod and it will easily do what you ask. I also use mine for estuary fishing and light beach fishing. However I must agree that something like a carp/pike rod and a proper beach caster would serve you better. I have a bass plugging rod that casts upto 2oz but is happier with 1oz and I&#39;ve landed a string of four Mackerel on it many times. Beach casters wont cast light weights because the power in a cast comes from compressing (bending) the rod if there is not enough resistance from the weight to bend the rod its like trying to cast a peardrop with a broom handle...it wont go very far.
</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font color='#000000'>If wanting to cast a light lure on a beachcaster you can make a spinning style rig which can increase the weight u r casting they can effect the lures performance in the water but its the only option available if u want to cast a light lure with a baechy post your e-mail adress and i wil send a picture to u
dean</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font color='#000000'>not only would casting the light lures be a problem, your arm would be hanging off after about 10 mins af casting because it can really put a strain on. i&#39;d use a separate lighter spinning rod for this as catching fish would also be more sporting, eg, the fish putting up a fight, not just being dragged in be a beachcaster.
A bass rod would lift a string of mackerel 10ft but make sure you have strong enough line.</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
<font color='#000000'>simple, don&#39;t hold the rod when lifting up mackerel, hold the line and pull that up instead.</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts