World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
Ater much thinking about it i have decided to rebuild my old north western beachcaster i have started by stripping it back to bare bones. I first built this rod around 15 years ago and as a young lad did not have a load of money so i never varnished it. so
question 1
what do i use to varnish the rod?:)

question 2
how much of the bit that fits together (can't remeber what its called in the middle of the rod:giveup: )
do i need to whip as this was never done when i was younger.

question 3
How long do i need to leave it before i can start to fish with it the stuff i bought to go on the whipping says 24 hour to hardern is that it or should i leave it a few days
matt

·
Registered
208 Posts
hi there
Ater much thinking about it i have decided to rebuild my old north western beachcaster i have started by stripping it back to bare bones. I first built this rod around 15 years ago and as a young lad did not have a load of money so i never varnished it. so
question 1
what do i use to varnish the rod?:)

question 2
how much of the bit that fits together (can't remeber what its called in the middle of the rod:giveup: )
do i need to whip as this was never done when i was younger.

question 3
How long do i need to leave it before i can start to fish with it the stuff i bought to go on the whipping says 24 hour to hardern is that it or should i leave it a few days
matt
First, we are going to have the patience of Solomon to answer all your questions. If I were you, I would get some information on rod building, either in book form or off the internet... www.rodbuilding.org , and also www.mudhole.com Mudhole has pages of methods and instructions on how to do it. There are different types of "hi-build" 2 part epoxies for coating the wraps, or covering the rod totally.

I do hope you measured and marked off where the guides were before you stripped them. You could also upgrade your guides to newer ones.

Next you will need a fixture, either a rod lath, or a "temp" a box can be used to hold the rod while you are winging the threads onto the guides. If this is a one shot deal, just use a cardboard box and wind by hand. you will have to use the same method to coat the threads with epoxy .... this method you will only be able to coat one guide at a time ...unless you get the misses to slowly turn the rod while you coat the rest of the guides. This method, you will have to use a fairly quick setup epoxy.

I have a post somewhere where I show how to make a box for holding the rod ...I will post when I can find it.

I hope this helps... :secret: :clap2:
Low Cost Rod Winding & Drying Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a simple inexpensive tool for doing your guide repairs. Get a wine box (carboard) cut the front out and make two shallow V's on each side

And then take 2 leads about 5 ozes. each and use mono to tie a loop

slip the loops with the leads over the rod on both ends, with leads within the box. The weight of the leads stabilizes the rod in the shallow V's

Here is the opposite side showing the mono and lead

Then get yourself some rod winding thread size D, and a small kit of 2 part hi-build. Wind the guides on, they use your hi-build, then slowly turn the rod until you don't get anymore sag in the hi-build. If you are away from home, try 5 min, 2 part epoxy for quick repairs .....now you are back in business ... nomadfl

One more thing...to keep the rod winding thread tight....run thread through a heavy book

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by nomadfl : 10-03-2007 at 21:55. Reason: To add to

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply so quick did use the mud hole website and i got the chippy at work to knock a hand wrapper jig up for me great idea about the thread through a heavy book will defo beusing that idea
cheers again
matt:clap2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts