World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
i also have wr300 as my main rod during winter and for rough ground.

i have a pair of 6500s for casting to clean ground at range.

from your collection i,d also keep a pair of 7000s for the rough stuff.

the rods can be used with either of the reel pairs depending on the ground your fishing.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would keep two Abu 6500's, two Abu 7000's (preferable the Swedush models) and also the Shimano Calcutta. If you are planning on selling the others then please could you PM prices, i am always buying tackle My dad was wanting an Abu 6500 and perhaps a leverdrag or levelwind 7000 size reel, and also i would consider buying the Calcutta for boat fishing if it was the levelwind model. I would need to see some picture though if you could get some.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for info guys,

ive not tried the calcutta yet( non level wind ) but i tried both rods with the 6500ct sports mag and the 7000 c3.

and damm did that lead shift lol.. best cast ive ever done ,( i know because i cast at same marked area and i went way past my usual mark :) ..and even into a strong head wind lol.. brilliant.

will try the other reels tommorrow.

Diamond Dave :
You're not getting grief from yer misses are ya Andy
not yet m8 lol... im running out off space, ive stupidly purchased around 8 reels and 8 rods in the space off 6 months ..and only 1 pair off hands so cant use em all so some must go, then gonna buy 1 more rod and thats it honest.:) a conoflex bass rod or similar.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i bought 2 awesome rods.

1 Conoflex Rakata
2 Century WR300

can someone give me advise on which off these reels would work best on the rods.

i have the following reels , and gonna keep best and sell others .

Abu 7000 cs pro rocket
Abu 7000 c3
Abu 7000 bg
abu 6500ct sports mag
abu 6500 c3
abu 6000 c3
Axeon fixed spool axs 65.
Shimano Calcutta 700s
( cost when new 270 quid , price on box lol ..purchased this yesterday too but dont know anything about it )

Rakata is a mighty beast so suited best for rough ground so may limited reel choice down.
Wr300 is similar.

i will be going out today too try them but any helpful advise would be good.

cheers.
Mr money bags. To help you out i'll take a reel off you.

Probably doesnt matter what reel you use on the rod. Think both rods are rough ground so maybe not ideal for flattie bashing. Long distance, mixed ground go for the 6500's and short distance rough ground go for the 7000's, calcuttas a good reel seemingly dont know what size that is though, maybe rough ground.

Probably best to team the reels up to the ground and casting distance rather than worry about the rods.

EDIT

Just read your post properly, Keep the 7000 rocket, 6500 sports mag and calcutta. No ignore that. It depends on what fishing your doing. Rough ground keep x2 big reels and a smaller as a spare and for tourney casting!!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after some pms and what others have said i will keep these for shore,

6500 mag ( cleaner ground. )
7000 pro.
7000 or possibly the calcutta after i try it tommorrow.

cheers all info and for the pm's.
Andy.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you need to ask what reels then you shouldn't have bought the rods

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you need to ask what reels then you shouldn't have bought the rods
why ?

there is loads off different reels, and im sure some Wr or Conoflex users have used various reels on the same rods.
i was simply asking them for there more experienced advise and preference,

i wasnt asking for criticism.

thanx for your input and help.
much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
i cant see why you cant use any of those reels with the above rods :g: all of the gear you have is top quality mate:) as you said a bass rod will top it off nicely:clap3:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aye thanx dinoboy.

i purchased them at on the spur off the moment ( so no time too read up about them ..( info for Rampus , who sounds like my missus lol :blink: )

anyway i tried them today for an hour..

i dont know enough about the rods ,or the reels ( calcutta 700s , never even heard off it , axeon 65 ?? ) and i only tried them for a first time yesterday , and was hoping that another member would say , these are rough ground rods so the 6000 would be no good.. best suited too the 7000.

or the wr300 can be used on rough with abu 7000 and also cleaner ground with a 6500 for distance.

after using them for an hour , the rakata is awesome bit off kit, rough ground yes. it aint no flattie basher lol.( but have read it can cast far too in the right hands ! )

but would have been good too hear more views from others that have used these too confirm my inexperienced thoughts. :)

anyway i think im settled on the reels/rod choice.

rakata paired with the shimano calcutta 700s
wr 300 paired with the 7000 pro rocket ( and the 6500 mag for distance over cleaner ground )
conoflex sea master paired with the 7000c3

so thanx for useful pm's and useful help.

all the best
andy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts