World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a sonik sk3 rung for fixed spool reels. I have used a multiplier on it too, will using the multiplier on the rod do it any damage or affect its casting performance? (I know it would if the rod was a multiplier version and i was using a fixed spool reel)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I think its the other way round mate, you can get away with a fixed spool on a multi rod but using a multi on a fixed spool rod is not a good idea as theres not enough guides to account for the rod being used the other way up, Rob.......ps: just noticed this is in the casting section, my comment was based on a fishing situation.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Casting shouldn't be an issue as the rod loads in the same manner as a fish as during the cast when you have a multiplier fitted.

Remember the basics , slow in fast out , let the lead step out from the tip on the back swing and smoothly load her up during the turn pulling in with the left on the hit.

Regards:clap:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its the other way round mate, you can get away with a fixed spool on a multi rod but using a multi on a fixed spool rod is not a good idea as theres not enough guides to account for the rod being used the other way up, Rob.......
i thought the rings were smaller on a multiplier rod and would not cope with the large coils of line coming off a fixed spool reel. I get told so many different things by so many people it gets confusing!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Casting shouldn't be an issue as the rod loads in the same manner as a fish as during the cast when you have a multiplier fitted.

Remember the basics , slow in fast out , let the lead step out from the tip on the back swing and smoothly load her up during the turn pulling in with the left on the hit.

Regards:clap:
errrr that describes my overhead thump to a tee! lol

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i thought the rings were smaller on a multiplier rod and would not cope with the large coils of line coming off a fixed spool reel. I get told so many different things by so many people it gets confusing!
I think that stems from the days when fixed spools had deep, narrow spools, modern tapered/cone spools and better line lay tends to see the line come off the spool in smaller coils so its not such an issue anymore.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
daft question then... why are there two types of rod if that is the case. Why not make a rod for either reel? Just using a reel seat that holds both types of reel and that can be positioned anywhere along the handle. I dont get it or are we getting ripped off by rod makers?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
daft question then... why are there two types of rod if that is the case. Why not make a rod for either reel? Just using a reel seat that holds both types of reel and that can be positioned anywhere along the handle. I dont get it or are we getting ripped off by rod makers?
Fixed spool rods have a minimum number of rings and are larger to allow for line coming off the spool in coils, unlike a multiplier rod which needs a lot more eyes to prevent the line contacting the rod when you are winding in.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
some already are... i THINK the carbon metal bb is a hybrid rung blank to allow for multi and fixed.... i may be wrong though...

Ross

1 - 9 of 9 Posts