World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Century CM, which has had the butt section replaced due to a previous problem, but I cannot now get the two sections appart since using them today.

I've tried wd40 and heating the butt and freezing the tip but with noluck whatsoever, appart from sending it back AGAIN, can anyone suggest anything please?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
you will need two people one holding the butt section close to the joint and holding it still. person no2 holding the tip section near the joint and work the tip section in a circular action (NOT TWISTING) whilst gently pulling.

when you have them apart rub the male spigot with candle wax. helps to prevent the same happening again

G

·
heat will expand the butt section and so make the female end larger the best way to do this is a kettle full of boiling water . this will not damage the rod but you'll have to be quick in getting them apart before the heat transfers to the male end.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
wrap a frozen bag of peas around the joint for a minute and they should come apart, worked for me
I've found this by far the best method too and I've tried most of 'em. Had a real problem with a pair of rods for a while which resulted in a few trips home with a pair of 13ft rods sticking out the window of my car! Cool the joint and then two people should be able to twist the sections apart, rubber gloves for grip help a lot :fish:

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
useless fact. No.31.

to prevent this incident from being repeated, place your multiplier on the bottom of the tip section, therefore eliminating the need to use the butt.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi mate!
Finding a bag of frozen peas when you`re out in the middle of nowhere can be a bit difficult! :)) :))
Although it takes two people, the best way to separate the sections is for each person to grip the rod with one hand on the butt and their other hand on the tip sections near to the joint. Both of you simply twist the opposite way and it will come apart. Give it a try!
To stop it happening again, certainly to make it easier to part, rub a pencil over the male end. Alternatively a little candle grease.
Tight lines,
Rich

·
Registered
146 Posts
hacksaw !!
how close have i been to doing that in the past :roll1:

one of my rods did it often, i saw the remove the butt cap advice on another forum, works every time for me now, the better the fit the more chance it will happen - :cry: suction is the cause a lot of the time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts