World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought this rod for pier and occasional boat fishing last week - DAM Fighter Pro boat rod 100-300g 9ft. Thought would be strong enough for both.

So I went to pier fishing last Sunday to try it out and guess what it snapped in the middle where 2 pieces joining.

All I had 2 mackerel on the line. The rod was pointing down to water when I was spooling them in and as soon it come just above the water and I’ve tried to lift it snapped.

Now I’m really confused weather I did something wrong or something wrong with my rod. I have no fishing experience from piers but I have a lot from rivers fishing e.g. spinning, carp, bottom etc.

After investigation online according to spec it should weight 392g but when I weighted my rod it was only 334g.
Some photos here: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B2_xTrEYePkKY3lHQzdnSkpOblk?usp=sharing

Now I need to try sort our refund and buy a better one.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
A knock on the pier handrail or boat gunwales is all it takes to weaken it enough to snap.

Was the break at handrail height !;)

Seems there are two sorts of fragile rods nowdays too cheap and too expensive , i would prefer a slightly heavier one that lasts the day !
I know Dam made some reasonable coarse rods but most of the sea rods seem to be less well designed.
Go for a Shakespeare or even better Daiwa next time.
Uptider might suit you .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't knock it definitely in fact all it had a 15-20 min of its life. It snapped around rail height 0 degree (parallel to water)
I have Shakespeare ugly stick river spinning rod which is awesome. Do you have any particular model to suggest 9ft 10ft range.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Not much springs to mind 9-10 ft it is an in-between length.
Won't go wrong with an ugly stik uptide or 20 class boat at 7.5 to 8 ft.
After that you are into the bass rod lengths 10 to 11 ft but your carp gear may cover that.
I would think shorter rather than longer if you are after full strings of makkies.
A drop net is worth buying or making if you have old keep/landing nets.
Not sure about a string of macks in one tho' !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
In my experience rods snap at the very start of their lives or, somewhat inevitably, at the end of their lives. Just send it back and see what they say, they may just replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience rods snap at the very start of their lives or, somewhat inevitably, at the end of their lives. Just send it back and see what they say, they may just replace it.
Not sure that I want replacement of that rod :) But I emailed to DAM first before I go back to seller.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much springs to mind 9-10 ft it is an in-between length.
Won't go wrong with an ugly stik uptide or 20 class boat at 7.5 to 8 ft.
After that you are into the bass rod lengths 10 to 11 ft but your carp gear may cover that.
I would think shorter rather than longer if you are after full strings of makkies.
A drop net is worth buying or making if you have old keep/landing nets.
Not sure about a string of macks in one tho' !:rolleyes:
Maybe it's just me over thinking but I don't want to spend on 2 rods that's why I thought that I could buy 1 strong rod for boat and pier def not for beach casting. People suggest up to 8tf for boat, seems a bit too short for pier and up to 14ft for pier but a bit too long for boat so I came up with avarage size for both.

·
Registered
19,956 Posts
Hi all,

I bought this rod for pier and occasional boat fishing last week - DAM Fighter Pro boat rod 100-300g 9ft. Thought would be strong enough for both.

So I went to pier fishing last Sunday to try it out and guess what it snapped in the middle where 2 pieces joining.

All I had 2 mackerel on the line. The rod was pointing down to water when I was spooling them in and as soon it come just above the water and I’ve tried to lift it snapped.

Now I’m really confused weather I did something wrong or something wrong with my rod. I have no fishing experience from piers but I have a lot from rivers fishing e.g. spinning, carp, bottom etc.

After investigation online according to spec it should weight 392g but when I weighted my rod it was only 334g.
Some photos here: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B2_xTrEYePkKY3lHQzdnSkpOblk?usp=sharing

Now I need to try sort our refund and buy a better one.
:) You have 2 claims against the retailer. 1. Rod not fit for purpose, it broke while fishing, under 6 months the dealer has to prove it was your fault, not a manufacturing fault, over 6 months you have to prove the rod was faulty. If under 6 months you are entitled to a refund, over 6 months you may have to accept a repair or replacement. 2. Not as described, 392 gms advertised but 334 gms when weighed, entitled to a refund, not as described. Your contract is with the retailer, not DAM. :)

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The lineaeffe cat fish rods look good in that length.
Ive seen their 12ft offerings and they seem great for the price.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I have a rod that would be just right for what you want.
I bought an 8ft North Western 30 lb blank approx 6 ft tip and 2ft butt , extended the butt with dural tube to make it up to 10ft total , large fuji rings for casting if needed it could handle 8oz and half a mackerel no trouble.
It is my weapon of choice for filling a fishbox with bait mackerel fast and is often left in a boat rodrest for wave assisted feathering .
If you need such a beast you might have to make it youself !:)

·
Registered
16,830 Posts
Buy cheap buy twice. I also don't think it was your fault however I would ask the question why are you using a boat rod for pier fishing ? Especially that rods are a decent price these days. My mate snapped 2 brand new fladden spinning rods In Norway with mackerel feathers, both rods snapped at the same point and both had two mackerel on them. Cheap shect however the online retailer took them back & gave him a full refund and your entitled to the same

·
Registered
19,956 Posts
I bought an 8ft North Western 30 lb blank approx 6 ft tip and 2ft butt , extended the butt with dural tube to make it up to 10ft total , large fuji rings for casting if needed it could handle 8oz and half a mackerel no trouble.
It is my weapon of choice for filling a fishbox with bait mackerel fast and is often left in a boat rodrest for wave assisted feathering .
:) Great rods. I was using one on a boat trip and I was offered good money for it so I took it, I have the same rod with all AFTCO rollers, never used it, collectors item now. I also have 3 x 50 lb NW all roller rods too, great rods for every thing, Thinking of fitting one with braid eyes, lighter. :)

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
:) Great rods. I was using one on a boat trip and I was offered good money for it so I took it, I have the same rod with all AFTCO rollers, never used it, collectors item now. I also have 3 x 50 lb NW all roller rods too, great rods for every thing, Thinking of fitting one with braid eyes, lighter. :)
They are good rods , i also have a 20 class that will show dab bites but tame a tope !:)
Got one of the 50 ATCO roller rods as well but unfortunately it lost four inches of tip to a van door before i got to use it for the first time.
Did get the insurance money back and the rod is there if i need to get a 60+ eel out of a wreck pronto !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds custom and expensive. Hence I live at least 80 miles from the cost then I wasn't planning spending a lot. Maybe around £50 if really nothing in that range then I could probably go a bit higher.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 Separate rods boat and pier, 12ft+ for the pier . Ugly sticks, good boat rods.
Thanks but I have no budget for 2 rods need to find a 1 for 2. Why the boat rod can't be used on pier they stronger than poer rods.
This is another confusing thing wher some rod manufacturers display line weight some casting wight.
What shouls I look for? If I planing to use 12oz lead sinker for bottom fishing of pier and jigging on boat?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks but I have no budget for 2 rods need to find a 1 for 2. Why the boat rod can't be used on pier they stronger than poer rods.
This is another confusing thing wher some rod manufacturers display line weight some casting wight.
What shouls I look for? If I planing to use 12oz lead sinker for bottom fishing of pier and jigging on boat?
Have a look at 2nd hand or bargin bins - I did that and £20 got me a 6'6 20lb class boat uglystick.. great rod for the money and I've not managed to break it yet :D :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts