World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ugly stik GX2, the boat version is better than the kayak IMHO as the rings are more durable. Good bite detection using braid because of the solid glass tip especially when using braid. In calm conditions and low flow in loch Etive I could easily feel bites from small spurdog in 400ft of water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use both
Bait fishing tend to use a traditional boat rod and like Malks, an ugly stick works for me
But I also have a Rovex kayak rod with a bait caster reel just for flipping out light lures amongst the rocks
Both work ok for me so preference I guess

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally I think Inline boat rods are brilliant for kayaks although they are not easy to find as they have never been very popular. They are lighter as they have no rings other than the guide ring, have a really nice balance/action, can easily be slipped under a deck line without snagging and are tangle free when things get hectic. I have an old Shimano IGAX 200g that has coped with common skate, and while it might me a bit long for some at 8' I like being to able to pass the line easily round the bow when my kayak is 16'. I also have have a couple of newer Daiwa Tournaments, an 8-15lb and a 15-25lb, which are both 7' and superb. They may not be cheap, even when discounted, but they are quality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whilst I have never fished the depths of water like Malks has fished in, I used Rovex 12-20lb 7' boat rods with Diawa SLOSH reels or sometimes an couple of old fixed spool reels. The rods are cheap and punch well above their weight with excellent bite detection.

Phil

·
Registered
210 Posts
i ahve a rovex kayak one piece also and a bait caster reel - seems to do the job for me - but i have found a traditional short spinning set up better for lures - as the rod is longer than the kayak rod, i can cast further, and can still paddle & troll with it in a front holder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts