World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recenty acquired a Penn Vendetta-R M with a reducer (12" +) as a second beach rod. What exactly is a reducer for and should it be removed for casting given I use the multiplier in a high position. Thanks and best / Izzy

·
Registered
568 Posts
Defo take it out if you are casting with the reel in the high position.

They are used when fishing with the reel in the low position to make it easier to wind in. If fishing in the low position you can leave in while casting (although personally I prefered to remove it when I tried)

I was playing about with the reel in the low position a couple of years ago, and due to simple laziness I left the reducer in the rod for ages. After a couple of months I decided that the reel in the low position wasnt practical for my type of fishing so finally got around to removing the reducer... problem was that it was completely jammed in the rod and I had to get the hacksaw out !!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Indeed took a battle to get it off :) I wonder why its called a "reducer"? No wonder I was having problems casting a 14' rod! :) Best

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep, confusing isn't it - a reducer that actually increases the rod length.

The reasoning behind the name reducer is along the lines that the extention (reducer) allows for a reduced butt diameter. I have never applied the brain power to considering this, just repeating something I heard. Who cares, certainly not the fish :)

Tight Lines

1 - 4 of 4 Posts