World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of praise for Rok-Max tackle, ordered an Avet SX on Thursday at 11 am, arrived yesterday at 2 pm. Full marks to them and their courier for getting next day service from one end of UK to the other.

Nice as well that price of reel reduced from £117 to £99 (plus VAT) becasue of strong pound. Now I just need to get out and try it out.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Can you tell us how you find the reel big man as i am looking to buy either a Avet SX (in blue!) or a Shimano Torium 16. I was going more for the Shimano as i dont know anybody who owns and fishes with the Avet. I would be interested in any feedback.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will let you know how I get on with it, although it may not in full use until mid may. Will be giving it a go for pirk casting and pollacking during comp on first weekend in May then in Iceland during the second week. Looks a lovely wee reel.

G

·
Can you tell us how you find the reel big man as i am looking to buy either a Avet SX (in blue!) or a Shimano Torium 16. I was going more for the Shimano as i dont know anybody who owns and fishes with the Avet. I would be interested in any feedback.
Firstly, Rok-Max are a great team. Paul and Pat are the nicest, most helpful people you are likely to find.
Always remember you (or at least to a damn good job of pretending) and will always do their best to get you what you want when you need it.

Secondly,
Avet SX V Torium 16

I own and use both regularly.
For a review of the Avet, check out the reviews section on here. I posted one just a few weeks ago.

They are two completely different reels.
One is a tiny little pocket rocket with immense power, but a rather slow retrieve(the Avet) and the other if a super fast, very chunky for it's 16 rating, fairly powerful reel that is perfect for wreck drifting.

Very differet reels, both admirable at particular jobs, but not ideal for others.
What is this new reels primary role going to be?
Bassing?
Wreck drifting?

etc etc

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
the Avet MX (MXJ - narrow or MXL - wide) is closer to the Torium 16 than the SX; but it is still slower retrieve than the Torium.
I think (must go & check it) that the MX 2-speed (In higher gear, 6:1) is still a bit slower because of the spool dimensions. Apart from the greater line capacity and faster retrieve rate (with the same drag figures for the lever drag) the MX reels do not have any particular advantage over the SX, although (at some cost) you do start having the option of a 2-speed (for those awkward fish or very-heavy lead situations)

G

·
Roger

The Torium has got a very deep spool which combined with it's huge gear ratio gives it a fantastic retrieve ratio with smallish leads (less than a lb).
This is perfect for drifting wrecks with the reel very easily capable of handling very big fish on light tackle.
However (not aimed at you Roger as I know you know all this) if you were to try and use it with bigger leads or where pure winching power is required, a big Tuna hung deep with it's pecs out, or a large Common Skate then it will not like it and you are unlikely to muster the power from the reel.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It was going to be used for tope fishing and rays in Luce Bay, and possibly a spot of wreck fishing off Hartlepool aswell. i already have the Tekota 500lc, but fancied something else. I have heard good things about both reels. I personally thought the Avet was a similar reel, although smaller because of its powerfull gearing and fast ratio. However that was a bad judgement as i have not actually seen the Avet and have only held the Torium 12 and the torium 16 a few times. Hopefully this will explain the situation better and you will be in a better situation to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts