World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Roker and Rathouse yesterday

1K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Coalycatcher 
#1 ·
I took my daughter Laura fishing with me yesterday, first to the Rathouse, then onto Roker pier. Only her third time fishing, but she managed to catch her first and second fish ever. First was a coalie of about 8" then this flattie:-
Sky Vertebrate Smile Street light Plant

after that we went onto Roker pier and apart from a large edible crab we blanked.

So the score yesterday was Laura 2 fish, Me 1 crab (and a sunburnt bald patch lol)
Tight lines everyone,

Geoff

See less See more
#8 ·
thanks, i was quite scared of touching the fish tbh, so the glove was a necessity :blink: but cant wait to go again :) just a pity my dad put that pic on its awful lol :uhuh: but i want to catch more flatties 'coz they dont wriggle as much :p
My dad said i should join WSF myself, so if anyone could think of any names would be much appreciated x
Thanks,
Laura x

#16 ·
I took Laura and her cousin back to the rathouse yesterday.
Just missed the last of the livebait at Rutherfords,:schmoll: so had to use some old frozen macky that I had with me.
I set up my beachcaster with a large hook with a mussel/squid cocktail frozen on for me, and two smaller rods with the macky on 2/0 hooks with two lumo beads above the hooks for the girls.
For the first couple of hours nothing but crabs stripping the baits. Half an hour before high tide the girls got bored and wandered off to explore.
Ten minutes later a 9" coaly took the bait on the smallest rod and twenty minutes after that an 11" coaly took the bait on the other small rod.
By this time I got sick of rebaiting the large hook on my beachcaster and put a 2/0 on with beads above instead.
An hour later the girls turned up wanting to go home, so I started to pack up, leaving my rod till last. The tip was twitching and I said it was crabs, but Laura said she thought it was a fish and reeled it in. Another coaly, about 10"!:clap3:

All fish were returned.

I didn't see or hear of any other fish caught while we were there, so I reckon it was the beads that made the difference.

Tight lines,

Geoff

#18 ·
Thanks for all the name help, kind of changed mine a bit, Roker on Saturday was freezing, but i still managed a crab and a 10" coaly :) Didnt realise the toilets closed at 6 though, so spent over an hour looking for one, not very good for night fishing really, but overall a good look out until my dad killed my fish (not on purpose of course) xxx
Laura x

#19 ·
Well done all. Just got back from St.Peters basin nothing to write home about few little codling and a ******. Spent half an hour trying to find me way out of the toon:wallbash: thats the problem with living in the sticks :D

#20 ·
The fish was stunned by the drop back into the water, not killed.
It was deeply hooked and I left the hook in so it took longer to recover but it was still moving near the surface when we left.

I'm surprised Laura posted that I'd killed it.

Tight lines,

Geoff

#21 ·
I took my daughter Laura fishing with me yesterday, first to the Rathouse, then onto Roker pier. Only her third time fishing, but she managed to catch her first and second fish ever. First was a coalie of about 8" then this flattie:-
View attachment 9636
after that we went onto Roker pier and apart from a large edible crab we blanked.

So the score yesterday was Laura 2 fish, Me 1 crab (and a sunburnt bald patch lol)
Tight lines everyone,

Geoff
well done laura.

the flattie is actually a dab so you could be miss .... dabcatcher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.