World Sea Fishing Forums banner

roker pier today

6K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  Malks 
#1 ·
arrived around 9.45am set up big rod with clip down rig ,bait for the day rag mackie squid
LRF rod down the side. first bite was on the LRF rod a nice fat rockling on small piece of mackie .
second rod landed a dab nowt else rest of session :(
around 11am the mckie bashesr started to turn up so had a few more casts to use up the bait then called it a day 12.45pm

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
thanks for the info but I am not on face book m8, the last twice I have fished roker pier there has been very little in the way of any mini species down the side of the pier wall
today I was the only one that landed anything the short time I was there, apart from two coalies pulled in on the drum end
there seems to be a big problem with any type of fishing on roker at the moment total nowt

#9 ·
REG over 3 years back I would to have a field day on roker pier with LRF rod drop down the side fish on.
my last few outings have been very poor not a thing on the LRF rod apart from fridays rockling.
at the moment the place is void of any mini species still one or two crabs but no coalies or any other species that tend to hunt around the pier walls
even the big seal is not there this year :unsure: , and the pod of dolpins dont show up as mutch as the used to as the tide pushes in.
the fish are just not there, not sure how the boat lads are doing out of sunderland there reports are few and far between.

#11 ·
I fished blyth harbour a few weeks ago just along from the new flats on the wood jetty next RNLI.
big rod mid river two hook flapper small hooks, LRF rod down the side not a thing on any of the rods all session, got that sick packed up after 4 hours.:(
I used to take my grandsons there with there light rods to catch coalies down the side, had a few evening session on there always landed something even few crabs
just seems to be very little around:unsure:
I have tried most of the baits live and frozen still nothing.
I did think at one stage it was down to me fishing in the wrong place at the wrong time , but it looks like a few anglers having the same problem.

#12 ·
I fished blyth harbour a few weeks ago just along from the new flats on the wood jetty next RNLI.
big rod mid river two hook flapper small hooks, LRF rod down the side not a thing on any of the rods all session, got that sick packed up after 4 hours.:(
I used to take my grandsons there with there light rods to catch coalies down the side, had a few evening session on there always landed something even few crabs
just seems to be very little around:unsure:
I have tried most of the baits live and frozen still nothing.
I did think at one stage it was down to me fishing in the wrong place at the wrong time , but it looks like a few anglers having the same problem.
It defiantly isn't you doing anything wrong, your an experienced fisherman. I think it's to do with all this dead crab that appeared last year I think it was. It was only yesterday I seen it back on the news. I didn't get to listen to it fully as my gran way chatting away but it's obviously very concerning. It seems to be only affecting so many miles of our coast. Hopefully it's repairable.

#13 · (Edited)
agree there seems to be some sort of cover up about the problem down on the tees,
the lads that depend on crabing and lobster fishing are going through a very bad time all the way down the coast.
when blyth power station was going they used to dump there shite out to sea , its the same on the tyne the shite tub going out three or 4 times a day dumping stuff out at sea.:mad:

#15 ·
again it was on the news again about the dead crabs and lobsters washed up north east coast line.
seems to me there is some sort of cover up to why this has happened the, the goverment need to step in and help out the lads that there livelihood depends on the amount of crabs lobster they can land
some of the beaches are littered with dead crab and lobsters :cry:.
I understand its as far down as scarborough.

#16 ·
the earth they digging out to make way for large container port extension was deemed to toxic contaminated to dump landfill so was taken away by dredger hence the crustacean kill off. cost to much money to admit liability. government more interested in the billions of pounds a free port will generate fishermen collateral damage

#23 ·
Plenty crab in the Tyne including fingernail sized.
I still don't get it, if it was pyridine why are there no reports of dead shelduck and other wildfowl and waders as it is highly toxic to birds? The tees has loads of them and plenty of wildfowling going on yet there are no reports.
Strangely overlooked by a lot of people.

#24 ·
I've been down to Seaton sluice for peeler this morning. Apart from 3 decent sized softies, which I left, the was only tiny babies and not alot of them. Also went to blyth pier at sun up to see if there was any macky about yet but still nothing, encase people were wondering.

#34 ·
Why have no crabs or lobsters returned to the tees bay then malks ?
Why is there no crabs up in the tees creeks where we normaly see thousands upon thousands each summer ?

Why have no crabs replaced the ones caught in the poisen and mass die off ??

There is not a single crab of any species or any size in the full tees bay on shore , or upto the 3 mile mark ( hartlepool/redcar/saltburn/skininggrove and so on )

Can you tell me this as you seam to no better than anyone else

#36 ·
Can you tell me this as you seam to no better than anyone else
Do you have to put it like that, I haven't belittled you or talked down to you?
OK, to answer the question in a round about way.
  • If it is pyridine it is easily dispersed in water, so if there was a lot of it available to kill off crabs and lobster where are the dead crabs and lobster that would naturally come in from deeper water?
  • There was a die off, so you need to wait for the numbers to build.
  • There is not a single crab of any species or any size in the full tees bay on shore...
    Not quite right; "No shore crabs or swimming crabs were recorded within the known zone of the event, whilst healthy populations were seen outside the area. Shore hermit crabs and possibly squat lobsters appear to have been less affected by the event, as their populations appear to be recovering and they were found (sometimes in good numbers) on the shores in the south of the area. From the limited observations made on these single post-event visits, it appears that the rest of the ‘rocky shore’ ecosystem has survived intact. For example the limpet, barnacle, periwinkle and dogwhelk populations, all keystone species, seem to have been relatively unaffected by the event, as healthy populations were recorded on all of the shores."
So now I have answered your questions, please reply to mine.

#40 ·
You have just tried to ridicule me whenever possible and not produced any answers to my questions so;
Facts.
No dead waders, wildfowl and scavengers, so no large amounts of the avian poison pyridine.
No die off at St Mary's island even with a much higher than Cornish baseline pyridine levels. So the only assumption since that it is North of die off by about 35 miles is that pyridine levels are not equal for all areas of the UK and that they occur for reasons that we don't understand for now.
So where is your data that refutes this or explains why these things have happened?

But at least I answer with something of substance all you do is divert.
If you can't answer or don't know just say so. If you don't understand what I said ask me to explain it better so you can understand, but just try to answer the questions otherwise you are just stonewalling for a reason.

#39 ·
We are stating facts . You are using hearsay.
We are on the shore around the teesbay most days and have been for alot of years . I am also heavily involved in the commercial fishing in hartlepool still and see what gets landed on most days .
my father works a potting boat out of hartlepool. I am getting first hand evidence .

it seams you keep using information you have found on the internet . I dont for one minute think your completely thick, but put it down to you just wanting an argument . Get ya self out fishing im done with talking to you . Ive stated facts all the way through every conversation ive had so il let people take what they want from it and make their own mind up.

#41 ·
So, how about we consider the pyridine contamination not the cause given there was no secondary poisoning then we are still left with the question of what did cause the die off. The powers that be are pointing to a natural algal bloom. Now I for one think an algal bloom in October under normal circumstances a complete load of tosh, it just doesn't happen that late in the year in our seas in our area. But what if there was an unnatural bloom that was caused by the release of huge amounts of sediment containing food and minerals for the algae to feed on ?? That covers an event caused by the dredging which appears to be a natural event so the government doesn't have to give any compensation to the crab and lobster boats. Just think about it ...................

#42 ·
Now I for one think an algal bloom in October under normal circumstances a complete load of tosh, it just doesn't happen that late in the year in our seas in our area.
Looking at the NEIFCA report there is a picture of the algal bloom along the NE coast on 20/9/21 and it is not just along the tees area but the Tyne and Wear area too (and slightly north but to a lesser degree). The T&W bloom was well out to sea and the tees inshore. My suggestion is that this could have impacted on the O2 levels as it was shallow water. As the area is regularly dredged and deposited in the same area it may have been possible that a lack of O2, sediment and a sudden drop in temperature, which is a killer for crabs although it was not that cold, in the shallower water all contributed to the deaths.
Even the official reports say that it is inconclusive as to what killed them. I'm swayed towards it being multiple factors including dredging but excluding pyridine in the sediment as testing rules that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.