World Sea Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
so thats your livelihood gone for you and other lads who do that type of job
Fortunately for me mate , i got a job ashore a number of years ago after doing nearly 10 years at the fishing .

My owld man works the boat single handed now, or did before the poisen killed everything . He has not made a penny this year. And the boat has been tied up for a number of months now . Like the rest of the inshore potting fleet in hartlepool who work upto about 3 miles out to sea theres nothing at all to catch . Livlihoods ruined . These men have worked the sea all their lives. Its all they no . They cant go and get a job in a call centre etc . My owld man cant even send a txt message on his mobile phone ( which infact he only purchased a couple of years ago )

Fishing is in their blood and there industry has been wiped out by millionaires set to make more millions. Its sickening disgusting and damn right upsetting

Plenty crab in the Tyne including fingernail sized.
I still don't get it, if it was pyridine why are there no reports of dead shelduck and other wildfowl and waders as it is highly toxic to birds? The tees has loads of them and plenty of wildfowling going on yet there are no reports.
Strangely overlooked by a lot of people.

I've been down to Seaton sluice for peeler this morning. Apart from 3 decent sized softies, which I left, the was only tiny babies and not alot of them. Also went to blyth pier at sun up to see if there was any macky about yet but still nothing, encase people were wondering.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Fortunately for me mate , i got a job ashore a number of years ago after doing nearly 10 years at the fishing .

My owld man works the boat single handed now, or did before the poisen killed everything . He has not made a penny this year. And the boat has been tied up for a number of months now . Like the rest of the inshore potting fleet in hartlepool who work upto about 3 miles out to sea theres nothing at all to catch . Livlihoods ruined . These men have worked the sea all their lives. Its all they no . They cant go and get a job in a call centre etc . My owld man cant even send a txt message on his mobile phone ( which infact he only purchased a couple of years ago )

Fishing is in their blood and there industry has been wiped out by millionaires set to make more millions. Its sickening disgusting and damn right upsetting
your dad any many others have spent there lives doing the same job of work handed from father to son ,now its all gone will take a long time to recover if at all
thats so sad to see a way of life gone down the drain.

I still don't get it, if it was pyridine why are there no reports of dead shelduck and other wildfowl and waders as it is highly toxic to birds? The tees has loads of them and plenty of wildfowling going on yet there are no reports.
[/

Malks for prime minister .

I actually watched the sea birds feeding on the dying crabs over a couple of tides. Not a single dead bird

Which asks the question why did we not see any secondary poisoning?
The reason as im sure weve already said elsware...
Is because there arnt any left to poison.
You can pour whatever you want in there now and you ... wont.... see a single dead crab.
Because theres none left to die..... again.
You have to get on the shore and look for yourself. There litterally isnt a single crab [of any size] anywhere in Tees Bay

You seam to be an expert in the field . Regardless of what anyone says . You no better . So please you tell us the answer mr councillor malks ( scientist )
Rather than throw insults around why not have a look at what I have said and weigh the evidence up.
No dead waders and wildfowl on the Tees estuary at the time of the crab deaths. The poison the stakeholders quoted as responsible is highly toxic to birds. So can it be possible that something else caused?
Next point is the varied levels of pyridine in crabs across the UK. How did the crab from St Mary's have a high level as it is 35 or so miles north of the tees and the tidal drift is southerly? Could it be that pyridine occurs in crabs and lobster at different points across the UK?
Could it just be possible that several factors coincided and there was a terrible die off of crabs and lobster?
The reason as im sure weve already said elsware...
Is because there arnt any left to poison.
No that's not what I meant, as above, when the die off happened the crabs etc that birds were feeding on should have died. That is what secondary poisoning is, just like a bird of prey picking up a poisoned rat or mouse.

Why have no crabs or lobsters returned to the tees bay then malks ?
Why is there no crabs up in the tees creeks where we normaly see thousands upon thousands each summer ?

Why have no crabs replaced the ones caught in the poisen and mass die off ??

There is not a single crab of any species or any size in the full tees bay on shore , or upto the 3 mile mark ( hartlepool/redcar/saltburn/skininggrove and so on )

Can you tell me this as you seam to no better than anyone else

Rather than throw insults around why not have a look at what I have said and weigh the evidence up.
No dead waders and wildfowl on the Tees estuary at the time of the crab deaths. The poison the stakeholders quoted as responsible is highly toxic to birds. So can it be possible that something else caused?
Next point is the varied levels of pyridine in crabs across the UK. How did the crab from St Mary's have a high level as it is 35 or so miles north of the tees and the tidal drift is southerly? Could it be that pyridine occurs in crabs and lobster at different points across the UK?
Could it just be possible that several factors coincided and there was a terrible die off of crabs and lobster?

No that's not what I meant, as above, when the die off happened the crabs etc that birds were feeding on should have died. That is what secondary poisoning is, just like a bird of prey picking up a poisoned rat or mouse.
The problem were having with you here is....
We are giving you actual facts from people who are in the estuary and on the water daily. Who stood on the waters edge and watched what happened and are personally monitoring what we see in relation to what happened. I have personally been walking, fishing and bait collecting in that estuary hundreds of times since and 4 times in the last week.
But you seem to doubt what we are saying.
Then with no actual facts of your own [ just heresay ].
Answer every question with more questions

Can you tell me this as you seam to no better than anyone else
Do you have to put it like that, I haven't belittled you or talked down to you?
OK, to answer the question in a round about way.
  • If it is pyridine it is easily dispersed in water, so if there was a lot of it available to kill off crabs and lobster where are the dead crabs and lobster that would naturally come in from deeper water?
  • There was a die off, so you need to wait for the numbers to build.
  • There is not a single crab of any species or any size in the full tees bay on shore...
    Not quite right; "No shore crabs or swimming crabs were recorded within the known zone of the event, whilst healthy populations were seen outside the area. Shore hermit crabs and possibly squat lobsters appear to have been less affected by the event, as their populations appear to be recovering and they were found (sometimes in good numbers) on the shores in the south of the area. From the limited observations made on these single post-event visits, it appears that the rest of the ‘rocky shore’ ecosystem has survived intact. For example the limpet, barnacle, periwinkle and dogwhelk populations, all keystone species, seem to have been relatively unaffected by the event, as healthy populations were recorded on all of the shores."
So now I have answered your questions, please reply to mine.

But you seem to doubt what we are saying.
Then with no actual facts of your own [ just heresay ].
Answer every question with more questions
No I don't doubt what you are seeing, I've never said that.
My replies have come from facts (see reply above) and I have asked you questions and there have been no attempts to answer them.
So I will try again;
  • Why no dead waders and wildfowl.
  • Why no dead scavenger birds.
  • Why is there raised pyridine levels in crab from St Mary's island
I've tried to answer yours honestly using the documents available and then weighing up the evidence by comparing and critiquing everything. I have not said it is one thing or another but I believe that it was multiple factors as there doesn't seem to be one overriding piece of evidence.

We are stating facts . You are using hearsay.
We are on the shore around the teesbay most days and have been for alot of years . I am also heavily involved in the commercial fishing in hartlepool still and see what gets landed on most days .
my father works a potting boat out of hartlepool. I am getting first hand evidence .

it seams you keep using information you have found on the internet . I dont for one minute think your completely thick, but put it down to you just wanting an argument . Get ya self out fishing im done with talking to you . Ive stated facts all the way through every conversation ive had so il let people take what they want from it and make their own mind up.

You have just tried to ridicule me whenever possible and not produced any answers to my questions so;
Facts.
No dead waders, wildfowl and scavengers, so no large amounts of the avian poison pyridine.
No die off at St Mary's island even with a much higher than Cornish baseline pyridine levels. So the only assumption since that it is North of die off by about 35 miles is that pyridine levels are not equal for all areas of the UK and that they occur for reasons that we don't understand for now.
So where is your data that refutes this or explains why these things have happened?
Again, you answer with ...... questions.... :)
But at least I answer with something of substance all you do is divert.
If you can't answer or don't know just say so. If you don't understand what I said ask me to explain it better so you can understand, but just try to answer the questions otherwise you are just stonewalling for a reason.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.