World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wey I had the day off graft today so me and awa bazzle went to go outdoors for a couple of cheapy 10foot rods n reels and set off for roker pier (it was actually open this time).
Got on the pier for about 12pm just before high tide, the very end of the pier was chocka block but the rest of the pier was empty so we decided to fish both sides at the second set of steps. I was using 2 rods. My beachcaster was set up for cod(pulley pennel rig with squid stuffed with mussels) and my second rod, absolutely terrible by the way. It states its 200g/7oz casting and it nearly snapped with a 4oz lead on. Haha what do i expect for just over a tenner lol. That was set up for whiting(2 hook paternoster boom rig loaded with mackeral).
We fished high tide and the ebb till 6.30pm and it was a canny day, awa bazzle kept attempting to power cast and it went west a few times over my line haha never mind bazzle. We're both new so these things happen. Anyways within 20mins my rod tip tapped a couple of times and i was on. It didn't give much of a fight though so i knew it was small. It was about 25cm and about 1lb maybe. I think it could of been a coalie but im not 100% sure so if anyone can help identify the species it will be appreciated. Anyways from there it went quiet for the rest of the day till we packed up actually. I didnt even get a nock on my smaller rod which i was suprised as there's been loads of ****** about. As all the blokes passed on there way home most had caught a couple of ****** and flounder early doors before we got there but no cod apparently. And nothing to be cheering about. But as we were leaving, after 7 hours, its a bit draining when your rods not even twitching ha. There was a few young lads on the end of the pier started pulling in whiting but by that time we were already packed up and ready to set off home. So i gave them the rest of my bait and wished them luck.
Sorry its a bit of a poor catch report but i just thought I would share my, not so exciting day on roker pier haha and every day cant be full of catches and massive fish or it wouldn't be as good when you get your good days.
I'm tired its been a long day im ready for a cuppa tea and a bit of "totally awsome fishing" on youtube before bed.
P.s. forgot to mention 3 hours in our bazzle decided to hang over the side of the pier to bait elastic his mackeral on and dropped(my only) bait elastic in the sea. Luckily it was still attached to the mackeral so i let him use my priest to wind it back onto lol. Unfortunately that was the only thing the priest was used for today ha IMG-20181203-WA0000.jpg Screenshot_20181203-202330_Gallery.jpg 20181203_161226.jpg

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great report, Mickey. Yes its a Coalfish mate. May possibly fish Roker tomorrow myself as i have not fished there since i first started sea angling back in the mid nineties.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great report, Mickey. Yes its a Coalfish mate. May possibly fish Roker tomorrow myself as i have not fished there since i first started sea angling back in the mid nineties.
Thanks jlr It's a good day up there like, and usually much more productive then I made it look haha. I would say the majority of people like to go off the very end mate its where most the fish are caught(im told). But anywhere from the second set of steps does me mate just because before the second set of steps is a bit snaggy but people who are used to fishing them snaggy spots mite think its better coz where theres snaggs theres fish eh? Ha. Good luck mate let me know how you get on. I'm out again on thurdsay me. i think were going to hit whitley bay or cullercoats and try and find a good spot up there for a couple of hours

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cracking report Micky lad.. well done on the coaley.. a very underated fish imo. They are very tasty and make a canny meal if you catch a fair size one m8..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cracking report Micky lad.. well done on the coaley.. a very underated fish imo. They are very tasty and make a canny meal if you catch a fair size one m8..
Thanks Andy it looked like a tastey specimen like, it was a very lucky chappy if it had been a few inches longer it would of been a catch and cook mate ha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Micky. Coaleys are good for fish cakes as well. Flounders make lovely eating (sweet soft white meat) - don't get mouthfuls of bone like some fish, and fillet well if big enough. Don't get put off by the look. If you are after a second rod, try picking one up second hand on Gumtree. Quite often the sellers have only used them a couple of times. Cash Converters often have tackle in cheap (I saw a beachcaster in Gateshead for £12).
Tight lines. Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave, iv been trying to wait till i can get on the buying and selling pages on this site mate. I cant get on yet because you have to have been a member for 3 months or something. Didnt even think about cash converters, good call mate il have to pop in. I'm game for trying any type of fish me(within reason haha) if i ever catch a big enuf flounder il give it a go thanks mate

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hi Micky. Coaleys are good for fish cakes as well. Flounders make lovely eating (sweet soft white meat) - don't get mouthfuls of bone like some fish, and fillet well if big enough. Don't get put off by the look. If you are after a second rod, try picking one up second hand on Gumtree. Quite often the sellers have only used them a couple of times. Cash Converters often have tackle in cheap (I saw a beachcaster in Gateshead for £12).
Tight lines. Dave
Coaley is bloody lovely if you have a smoker as well, very under rated fish because we don't get a lot of big ones.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coaley is bloody lovely if you have a smoker as well, very under rated fish because we don't get a lot of big ones.
I'm back at roker tomorow but think I'm fishing into the estuary for some whiting, hopefully mite catch a good size coalie there for a keeper haha

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Micky, your enthusiasm and reports mirror those of Bykerfish who sadly passed away .Keep up the good work !
Thanks John im glad you like my reports, i wasn't sure people would like me waffling on about and getting all excited about my mediocre catches haha. Hopefully soon i will have a nice size fish to talk about mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts