World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
15,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another day dawned fine and dandy as we slipped the moorings and headed east for another day's fishing in the lovely jubly Thames Estuary.We had a fair old run out this morning so with the boat on auto we settled back to some banter and a breakfast of Onion Bahjis and a nice spicy dip to dunk them in.
What awaited us today was one of those better days fishing when you dont have to move the boat from start to finish and the fish come steadily throughout the day.Nothing massive,biggest around the 10lb mark.Lots returned today and lots kept too.Roker wise the tally was 16 keepers between 6-10lb.As many returned again and along with a few whiting the day soon passed and we were on our way back again with a glorious sunset to welcome us back into the marina.Top bait today was Herring.A quick tidy up,de-wing of the catch and washdown and we are ready to get back out again real soon!

Ron

· Registered
8,196 Posts
Well done Roker Ron, you just need a t-shirt with that printed on it now.

· Registered
93 Posts
Well done Ron!

I was out on Highlander with Dave yesterday, had a good one but not quite to the same proportions as yourselves.

Nice boat you were on, looks right up my street, what's the cruising speed on that one?

Cheers
BillySmart

· Registered
12,188 Posts
As long as the picture is in perspective of the days fishing then there is no problem as far as I am concerned.

Ron
Ron
Whenever I have taken a ray regardless of what I do, they always smell like ****! What do you do to stop that awful smell?:yucky:
blueskip

· Registered
8,436 Posts
Ron
Whenever I have taken a ray regardless of what I do, they always smell like ****! What do you do to stop that awful smell?:yucky:
blueskip
Best is to wing & skin 'em soon after capture & put the wings in a bucket of seawater to soak. Draws out the ammonia better than any other method I've seen in 25 years!

Cheers - John

15,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done Ron!

I was out on Highlander with Dave yesterday, had a good one but not quite to the same proportions as yourselves.

Nice boat you were on, looks right up my street, what's the cruising speed on that one?

Cheers
BillySmart
Hi mate,good for 34kts but a nice cruise speed when the condition's are right is around 26-28kts

Ron

15,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ron
blueskip
Ive tasted shop bought skate (Ray) they have tasted of it too as well as smelt like it.
I always put it down to maybe the fish been standing around a while.But as you have them fresh and still smelt it I wonder if it is an area thing of maybe where they live?
I just wing em and skin em,sometimes not skining them until I want to eat them.BUT I ALWAYS freeze fish before I would eat it except Mackeral and Bass.Even when I was fishing deep sea we would never eat fresh fish straight frrom the deck,always taking fish from the fishroom after it being on Ice for a few days.
Maybe freezing would help them with the smell but I have to say I have never smelt that horrible smell on fish caught from the Thames.Maybe the outfall and nastys in the water from the old Bradwell Power Station has put paid to it! :)

Ron

· Registered
8,196 Posts
For gods sake lets not have another row on the topics of fish on decks.

And regarding rays smelling of urine. I had no problem what so ever with the one i caught and i took it home whole (snot and blood everywhere!!!!!!!). I de-winged it about 6hrs or more after it was caught but i kept the ray in my kitchen sink in freezing cold water and loads of ice. I froze it for about 2 days then covered it in batter and fried it up. And i have to say it was lovely! I think as long as you keep it cold and fresh you wont have a problem. But best its de-winged on the boat otherwise the wife goes mad !!!LOL.

· Registered
2,408 Posts
Not sure why people always have this problem with ray smelling of ammonia. Never had one myself (bl00dy Ron keeps getting them all! :)) but used to work on the docks and we never had any problems with them unless they had been sat around for a bit. Gutted as caught, winged the same day and kept on ice they were fine for a week+.

Well done Ron on yet more fish - you gonna leave some for the rest of us or what! :) The thing that winds me up about Ron isn't that keeps so many fish, but the lucky sod is out fishing pretty much every day and I'm stuck the office! :(

Only had one pop down the Crouch for rays, but was not sure about how to get to Holliwell point (private roads and stuff) and didn't want some angry farmer with a shotgun chasing me off. Any ideas anyone?

· Banned
3,436 Posts
One thing to be said about winging on board I have been told is that the smell will ruin the days fishing on the mark, Not sure how true it is but I had it on good authority. So if you do wing them on board wait to the way in before you sling the rest over the side.
I personaly have never smelt the amonia smell on my fish, but I always get them out of the sun as soon as I catch them, this may make some odds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.