World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking to upgrade my rod to something with a bit more power after using a £40 combo set for the past 5 years. Original thoughts are the RT X as the ground I’m fishing is off rocks and near kelp beds, but would also like something that can be used on a clean beach. So any other recommendations would be welcome. I’d most likely be combining it with a sl30sh reel. My budget is around £130 max for the rod and I don’t mind if I can get something better secondhand.
If you need anymore info ask. (First post on WSF)

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Forget about that axellerator its a dreadful old thing its heavy unbalanced a bit of a pig really, better option would be the imax fr match plus, still has plenty of poke its light well balanced and bite detection is certainly good enough.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Yes I have the fr plus. Will show bites on the beach but has grunt for rougher stuff.
If you do mostly rough stuff the shimano catana rd is a real bargain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
Quite a few of the reviews I read on the RT X did say that but I was struggling to find any other rods that could be of use, especially one to suit my needs of mainly rough-mixed ground work during the summer (that can be quite windy as on an exposed island in the inner Hebrides) with the occasional beach during the winter around East Lothian

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I rebuilt a pair for a mate but have never fished with RT AXE's Very powerfull rods that he uses for Conger from deep water marks, Nice enough rods if that's what you plan to use them for and quality rods for the money but I wouldn't use them on a clean beach

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry to add to specification. Which rods would be up for travelling:
A) by train when going up north
B) on my back when I cycle to beaches in East Lothian (I’m a teenager so don’t own a car )
i.e. what rod would be able to cope with some a bumb or two during transit (I always try to minimise but it is inevitable) as well as my varied fishing sites?
(Sorry :) )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rebuilt a pair for a mate but have never fished with RT AXE's Very powerfull rods that he uses for Conger from deep water marks, Nice enough rods if that's what you plan to use them for and quality rods for the money but I wouldn't use them on a clean beach
Yeah I kinda fish whatever’s accessible at each stage of tide so sometimes it is on clean ground. I didn’t really think RT would be great but then again there are great pollack in kelp beds off rock marks that I know of which are only fishable by a strong rod and I would imagine few rods would be up for that task.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The axe is a great rough ground rod IMHO. But, its certainly not for everyone. When you need 7 -8 oz and a big bait there is not much to touch it unless you are spending a lot more money on a Zippy or Century.

Rods are always a matter of personal choice. The best way is to actually try one because some reviews and reviewers are partisan to say the least. Not saying that's the case here just that other opinions are available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The axe is a great rough ground rod IMHO. But, its certainly not for everyone. When you need 7 -8 oz and a big bait there is not much to touch it unless you are spending a lot more money on a Zippy or Century.

Rods are always a matter of personal choice. The best way is to actually try one because some reviews and reviewers are partisan to say the least. Not saying that's the case here just that other opinions are available.
Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply...
My aim was always to go try out the rods before buying one as from all the articles I’ve read everyone’s opinions are different, I just wanted to get an idea of what I should look at before going.

Thank you though as it’s always good to hear both sides of an argument

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I think you are looking for more than one rod ie one for clean and mixed ground and one for rough ground...Given that you don't drive as yet, I would say that an easy to transport rod is a must..

.I would there fore suggest a 3 piece as being ideal something like the 13 foot Penn Rampage 2 surf rod, of the Shakespeare Agility Surf.. Either would suit clean to mixed ground and being 3 piece would be a lot easier to transport on a bike...Given that you can get either for under £90, you could then start saving for a dedicated rough ground rod.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you are looking for more than one rod ie one for clean and mixed ground and one for rough ground...Given that you don't drive as yet, I would say that an easy to transport rod is a must..

.I would there fore suggest a 3 piece as being ideal something like the 13 foot Penn Rampage 2 surf rod, of the Shakespeare Agility Surf.. Either would suit clean to mixed ground and being 3 piece would be a lot easier to transport on a bike...Given that you can get either for under £90, you could then start saving for a dedicated rough ground rod.....
Would I not be losing out on some power though by going to a 3 piece, and transport by bike isn’t too much of a deal length wise as I’m 6ft 3in so anything strapped to a bag on my back won’t be to immobilising.

Would the fr plus be better suited beach work or rock marks?
I know how to battle a fish through rocks with a light rod as my last rod was ****e but would like something that could make that job easier yet not look out of place on a beach

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Would I not be losing out on some power though by going to a 3 piece, and transport by bike isn’t too much of a deal length wise as I’m 6ft 3in so anything strapped to a bag on my back won’t be to immobilising.
Not sure what you mean about "loosing power"?? I have both and have cast 6oz plus moderate size baits..They are better suit to clean and mixed ground though...

Would the fr plus be better suited beach work or rock marks?
I've not used a Plus, but from what I've read its pitched at mixed ground but still being ok for clean, with the Extreme being the out and out rough ground rod of the range.....Best bet though is to try to find someone who has actually fished with a Plus and see what they say...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, by losing power I’m asking will the rod being in 3parts mean that the upper most ‘junction’ between the rod parts bend less than the surrounding blank?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Sorry, by losing power I’m asking will the rod being in 3parts mean that the upper most ‘junction’ between the rod parts bend less than the surrounding blank?
They are not bad in that respect..I think three piece rods have come on in leaps and bounds but will obviously never be quite as good as a piece of similar quality...But they are far, far easier to transport. I can fit mine neatly across the rear parcel shelf of my car which means they are out of harms way and safe...My two piece rods have to be fed into the car and intrude into the passenger area so tend to be in the way if I happen to have passengers ect.. When it comes to carrying over my shoulder, I use a TFGear Force8 quiver and the 3 piece rods fit completely inside so are protected. My two piece stick out a couple of foot and are therefor susceptible to damage...I know in years gone by plenty of folks have carried two piece rods on bikes, but regardless of how tall you are, the shorter three piece are far more convenient in that respect...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are not bad in that respect..I think three piece rods have come on in leaps and bounds but will obviously never be quite as good as a piece of similar quality...But they are far, far easier to transport. I can fit mine neatly across the rear parcel shelf of my car which means they are out of harms way and safe...My two piece rods have to be fed into the car and intrude into the passenger area so tend to be in the way if I happen to have passengers ect.. When it comes to carrying over my shoulder, I use a TFGear Force8 quiver and the 3 piece rods fit completely inside so are protected. My two piece stick out a couple of foot and are therefor susceptible to damage...I know in years gone by plenty of folks have carried two piece rods on bikes, but regardless of how tall you are, the shorter three piece are far more convenient in that respect...
Thanks I hadn’t really thought about the top of the rod bashing on trees and stuff when on my back, I’ll wait and see what people’s views on the fr match plus is. Before I hadn’t really considered a three piece as I thought I’d lose out but I’ll defintily take them into consideration now, thanks(ish). ((For adding more rods to the selection :) ))

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Hiya mate,
A mate of mine has a piece of down spout with an end cap on fastened to each of his pushbikes front forks & sits a rod vertical in each of these & straps them to his handlebars rather than lugging them around on his back.
As regards 3 piece rods, not all are cheap flopsticks or conti type rods. Ive a pair of 3 piece 16ft Greys Triplex's which when fishing with you'd never know were 3 rather than 2 piece & will chuck 5oz & a big bait a long way, they'll cast 6oz but 5oz seems the optimum. At just over 5ft long in their bag are a doddle to transport by car or bike as well.
Rick;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hiya mate,
A mate of mine has a piece of down spout with an end cap on fastened to each of his pushbikes front forks & sits a rod vertical in each of these & straps them to his handlebars rather than lugging them around on his back.
As regards 3 piece rods, not all are cheap flopsticks or conti type rods. Ive a pair of 3 piece 16ft Greys Triplex's which when fishing with you'd never know were 3 rather than 2 piece & will chuck 5oz & a big bait a long way, they'll cast 6oz but 5oz seems the optimum. At just over 5ft long in their bag are a doddle to transport by car or bike as well.
Rick;)
Cheers for the idea on transporting rods by bike, never really thought of doing it like that.
I know that when you get up to spending £250+ on a rod the difference between 2 and 3 piece rods isn’t going to be substantial but for around my price range I’m guessing that a two piece will outperform a three in most aspects.
Thanks though rick appreciate any advice and help I can get.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I tried carrying a rod on a push bike years ago. Got it caught up somehow, fell off and created the first multi section rod in Morecambe.

Could have made a fortune.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts