World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any views on ron thompson rods? are they any good ? reviws seem to suijest so but do they last?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Karlos.
R.T. are good quality rods for the price paid.
I started my lad off with a couple of G-force and had no complaints.
A few people have mentioned problems with the reel fittings so anyone with any other comments?
The Axcellerator is a very good heavy work rod and fishes above it`s price but thats just my opinion bud.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The ron thompson Axcellarator is a fantastic rod for the price£100 it handles rough ground no problem and can cast a big bait with 6oz of lead no problem to,i would only get one of these rods if you are going to fish rough ground, :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The RT Axellerator is a excellent rough ground rod and is capable of 200 meters plus distances on the casting field.

One major point is the rod is extemely powerfull and if you have problems bending a rod during the cast this will not suit as it takes a bit to load it correctly.

Regards
Jeremy :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeremy Schrader said:
The RT Axellerator is a excellent rough ground rod and is capable of 200 meters plus distances on the casting field.

One major point is the rod is extemely powerfull and if you have problems bending a rod during the cast this will not suit as it takes a bit to load it correctly.

Regards
Jeremy :)
it seems to me theses rods get quite high praise..for the price..used to fish with daiwa rods but sold my kit..looking to get back to sea angling,seen a ron thompson symmetry beach caster for about 30 quid any one else use one as i cant seem to find any info on this model anywhere,the axellerator. is it rung for fixed spool or multiplier,i use a fixed spool and would be fishing upper reaches of bristol channel all year round.my local shop dosnt stock the g force and im not really up for mail order.support the locals and all that.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
hi karlos, i use a ron thompson supierior 12ft beachcaster, as a back up rod/feathering. its ok and easy to use. it casts well, and has reasonable bite detection. i paid £22 for mine :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i have seen three Ron thomsons rods snap so thats enough for me to steer clear of them :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had an RT bass rod couple of years ago, the cheapy one, I loved the action of the blank and could cast a long way with it, until I snapped it pulling in some weed. The rod ring ceramics fell out and the reel seat was rubbish as well. Then I got a more expensive RT bass rod, £65 Specimen X ???, thinking that the more I pay the better the quality. It was rated to cast 3oz but struggled with 2oz, and again the rings and reel seat was ****. It does make a good plugging rod however.

I would be very reluctant to buy an RT rod again, but these rods are now a few years old. I have heard better reports about RT's more recent products so their quality and performance must be getting better.

Ian

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi all, I have had a Ron Thompson rod and neoprene waders and both were returned to the tackle shop where I bought them due to faults with them.

stay clear of RT

redhead

G

·
marcus1975 said:
i have seen three Ron thomsons rods snap so thats enough for me to steer clear of them :)
I've seen rods from just about every company snap (Penn, Ron Thompson, Shakespeare, Zippys and Greys). Should i stay clear of them all?

At the end of the day some breal due to a bad flaw in its building or sometimes due to mis-use/accidental damage. I still use Penn as i love them and if mine broke tomorrow i would probably still go out and buy another.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I have 4 RT rod's,
Excessor,
Zensorflex (Uptide)
Superior (Boat)
Superior (Bass Rod)
All 4 are very good and I have had no probs with any of them.
I also have see rods "Snap" but I think that is cos they are not used properly :confused:
I even saw a bloke cast out a 4oz sinker + Feathers on a .......carp rod :eek: & yes it snapped....silly git :rolleyes: I had to smile to myself :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
I ve never been fishing before and did not know if i would like it so i got a John Wilson combo Prime p70 fixed spool 225yds 20lb line & a JW Prime 10' Beach P10 2 - 6 oz + mack lures for £27. Dont know if its any good but as iam a single parent with 2 kids i thought on the lines of if i dont like it then £27 pound is not a lot of money to waste and i could still feed the kids for the week :D . Just 1 Q it says 2 to 6 ozs on the rod could i use 1.5oz on it our not going fishing for 1st time on tue at Ogmore cant wait.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi Nin ....yes you can use 1.5oz leads the 2 to 6oz just shows that the rod works best with these leads. looks like you have a good deal with the combo...and as you say...you don't know if you will like sea fishing...... has anyone said anything about a finger stool for casting to protect your index finger? if they havent buy a leather one from a chemist...the line can cut you finger badly somestimes..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks BB i will buy one on monday looking forward to it now. I am going out to enjoy myself and if i catch something it will be a bonus. My hopes are not to high though as i have a lot to learn as i have never been fishing at all before. Every thing i know so far is from this forum and the web sites made my 1st rig it took ages but when i done it i thought i won the lottery. I also have a boot full of hard hats to give to the other fishermen when i cast out :D you never know.

G

·
ninjadai said:
Thanks BB i will buy one on monday looking forward to it now. I am going out to enjoy myself and if i catch something it will be a bonus. My hopes are not to high though as i have a lot to learn as i have never been fishing at all before. Every thing i know so far is from this forum and the web sites made my 1st rig it took ages but when i done it i thought i won the lottery. I also have a boot full of hard hats to give to the other fishermen when i cast out :D you never know.
That is what I think whenever I go out fishing, I am here to enjoy myself, whether it is the scenary, the fishing or the company, or a combination of all three. I just love my fishing, a decent fish, or any fish is indeed a bonus at the moment!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I consider (my opinion only) that you get what you pay for! Cuttting costs is fine as long as the same hasn't been happening with the manufacture! When I was growing up I bought only what I could afford and made it do. I never bully tackle through kelp with the rod, I don't think that any of them are built just for that.

Nevertheless it is intriguing to see how good a cheapo really is. Recently I was able to buy a brand new RT Superior, 12' multi for £10 (West Midlands Angling Centre) so I intend to use it where I normally fish with my expensive pride-n'joy. I know I havn't the casting strength to snap a rod doing that and if i'm sound in the bottom then i've always pulled the line for a break rather than tried to use the rod as a crane and the reel as a winch! I have always relied on getting my terminal tackle moving fast! (as the bishop said!)

Frankly if any rod snaps when you are fishing 'normally' then it goes back for replacement. When I couldn't 'afford' to fish heavy ground normally in the past then I freelined a bait into the kelp and thus only lost a hook!

They had an Accelerator at WMAC (£99) and I agree it certainly seems to be built a good deal more ruggedly than my £10 bargain! In fact I would probably use it to hoist up a sail on my dinghy in the past!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i bought a pair of RT superiors on ebay for £20....

Ive broken both of em...The reel seat gave up the ghost,,,

Still usable...but only if im really desperate..

They're ok...they do the job,its just ive been spoiled by better rods now..

tbh,,if i was being neutral,,id say they're alot better than the rest of the £20-£40 junk thats about...

:cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts