World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
15,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 am start from the marina.What a shocking morning,thick fog and by the time we got to the end of the river with then help of the plotter and radar a horrible Easterly swell with waves breaking everywhere was not we expected! It was touch and go whether to about turn or go the extra 8 mile or so and just have a look at what it was like.With water rolling over the bow and breaking on the windows I eased her back so at least Neil could make us a tea and we plodded through.Once we cleared the sands the sea had started to calm a degree and by the time we hit the Middle deeps apart from the thick fog it weren’t such a bad morning.
The hook was down around 5.45 and we settled into some steady fishing with Hounds and dogfish hitting the baits.
Through out the day we moved 4 times,sometimes this is necessary to ‘Chase the tide’ and fish along and over the sandbanks,shallow and deepwater that makes up the Thames Estuary.After years of fishing these waters you tend to get a feel of where the fish will move onto once they have moved away from you are fishing.It’s not something that anyone can tell you,it just seems to be in your head.Not all the time do we make the right decision as sometimes you may need to move 2 or 3 times in 30 minutes but you normally get there in the end.
The biggest hound today was to me at 14lb,not a monster and easy to beat as 20lb + fish are quite common but the season has only really just got going so a welcome fish all the same.Neil had a some nice fish also to 10lb and the only roker of the day (Im Roker Ron & he caught the only one!) He also managed 2 reasonable Bass and gave me one for my tea,he’s a nice boy!
Some Hounds were kept as they make super eating fish too.Neil cleaned these on the way back and now all I have to do is eat them!
Anyone thinking of booking a charter then now is the time to do it!
This week I have decided to go back to chartering again,I must be mad,I said I wouldn’t do it again but I fancy maybe doing just weekends only.It will be a couple of months or so before things are up and running but anyone who used to fish with me in the 80’s from Southend on The Liz and Hazel and fancies a trip with me again,then keep watching WSF and I will post when things are in place.
Tight Lines

Neilt with a nice Hound

14lb Common Smoothound

Neil cleaning Cleaning the catch

D

·
0 Posts
hi ron,good report as usual mate.

do them hounds taste any better than bullhuss?i ate some huss that i caught last week tonight and it was crap!the black bream was nice though.....dave.

D

·
0 Posts
it wasn't so much the taste creedy,more the texture of it.it was like a load of slop!maybe the missus messed it up!!.....dave.

15,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absoluetly lovely eating,no ammonia,you only get ammonia in Rays and shark type fishes if you leave it laying around before dealing with it.Best to bleed them as soon as you kill them,that way the meat stays whiter and more tender.If they was horrible we certainly wouldn't bother with them.I only kill what I enjoy to eat.No point in killing anything if youre not going to eat and enjoy it.
As with most sea fish except I would say Mackeral and Bass,taste can be better if frozen after cleaning for a few days at least.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I reckon the missus cocked it up! My favourite of all the sharks, Huss. Just as tasty simply boiled, but my favourite is in foil in the oven, just with fesh ground black pepper and lots of lemon. Yum!!

I hope it was released post filleting Ron.............:)

D

·
0 Posts
I reckon the missus cocked it up! My favourite of all the sharks, Huss. Just as tasty simply boiled, but my favourite is in foil in the oven, just with fesh ground black pepper and lots of lemon. Yum!!

I hope it was released post filleting Ron.............:)
that's exactly how she done it but without the pepper.maybe it wasn't cooked long enough?i have some more in the freezer so i'll give it another go.....dave.

15,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be perfectly honest,If it weren't for my g/f liking a Bass or 2 I would throw them all back.For eating,I think they are the most overated fish in the sea....Give me a bit of smoothound,Roker or Whiting fillets anytime!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Sounds like you learned something last week then??, and what's all this moving about lark all about??, and another thing!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
To be perfectly honest,If it weren't for my g/f liking a Bass or 2 I would throw them all back.For eating,I think they are the most overated fish in the sea....Give me a bit of smoothound,Roker or Whiting fillets anytime!
That's just a question of personal taste, for me, I love fresh bass.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
well done Ron great report as usual after our chat on the phone this morning I thought maybe being at work wasn't so bad, but after reading the report I should have taken your advise yesterday and come with you and suffered the consequence's tomorrow.
Alan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts