World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A chap I know of always turns up with 2 rods on his roof rack both set up and ready to fish. When he's done he simply puts the rods back in to the clips and drives off.

I haven't had a real close look but the clips look purposely built for rods and not home made. I went in to 2 tackle shops and halfords yesterday but nobody had heard or seen them.

I haven't seen him in a while and would like some, so, has anyone ever seen these before and have any idea where I'd get them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Back in the days of Ford Cortinas and the like when cars had little gutters above the doors Effgeco used to sell a rod carrier which was a "must have" accessory for the serious sea angler. They worked OK but tended to get a bit flappy as the old 2.0L ghia shock itself towards 70mph!!!!
Not seen any for years but you can get some magnetic type fly rod carriers which may work for light rods at slow speeds. Not so hot at speed with two zzipies and a couple of Abu mags as could lead to an expensive road side mess of splintered carbon and flat reels..............

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Salmon anglers all use magnetic rod holders for their rods, I use them on normal roads....wouldn't like to go down the motorway with them though.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhh ok then, they must be home made if nobody on here is aware of them.

A friend of mine who has been teaching me to fish drove to Scotland with 3 friends from the Southcoast loaded with fly rods/reels, spining rods/reals & boat rods/reels strapped on top of his 4x4 via those magnetic thingies. He and his pals worked out en route that they had over 10 grands worth of kit going up the M1 at 90mph.

Yep, they pulled over and put their suitcases, cool boxes etc etc on the the roof rack, dismantled all the rods/reels and placed them in the boot.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I am going to ireland at the end of the work. I am taking 6 or 7 rods. Solution? A 9ft length of soil pipe with rubber end caps. Looked at ratchet winches to fix it to the roof bar but have opted for duct tape....hope it holds!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If you already have a roof rack try these:

Big foam rubber coated twisty wire thingies. Get them at B&Q, DIY shops or tool sellers at your local market.

Cheap and so many uses. Not broken one yet over two years use - car and boat.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you already have a roof rack try these:

Big foam rubber coated twisty wire thingies. Get them at B&Q, DIY shops or tool sellers at your local market.

Cheap and so many uses. Not broken one yet over two years use - car and boat.
Thanks mate. Do you reckon they would hold my tube and rods on the roof bars....dont have a rack.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ahhhh ok then, they must be home made if nobody on here is aware of them.

A friend of mine who has been teaching me to fish drove to Scotland with 3 friends from the Southcoast loaded with fly rods/reels, spining rods/reals & boat rods/reels strapped on top of his 4x4 via those magnetic thingies. He and his pals worked out en route that they had over 10 grands worth of kit going up the M1 at 90mph.

Yep, they pulled over and put their suitcases, cool boxes etc etc on the the roof rack, dismantled all the rods/reels and placed them in the boot.
Have a butchers on the bass pro shop website, they will no doubt have something that will at the very least give you some ideas.

G

·
Halfords sell a kit with mountings for roof rack crossbars which take either 110mm drainpipe or 160mm drainpipe. I think the kit comes at about £16. I use 160mm to carry 8 rods, gaff handle, etc. The end fittings for the pipe are expensive - cheaper in 110mm, but you can't carry as many rods.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
dunno about you lot, but i'd never take a chance when travelling.

rods always go in bags / quiver, reels in the box. box goes in the car, rod bags on the roof rails and held down with quick release luggage straps.

if going away from the car for any time, they can be quickly undone and thrown inside the car.

i can't for the life of me, imagine why anyone might want to strap down 12-14ft of rod on the roof, at best you'll only be supporting 5ft of the rod, leaving the rest to flop about in the wind, nice!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Back in the days of Ford Cortinas and the like when cars had little gutters above the doors Effgeco used to sell a rod carrier which was a "must have" accessory for the serious sea angler. They worked OK but tended to get a bit flappy as the old 2.0L ghia shock itself towards 70mph!!!!
Not seen any for years but you can get some magnetic type fly rod carriers which may work for light rods at slow speeds. Not so hot at speed with two zzipies and a couple of Abu mags as could lead to an expensive road side mess of splintered carbon and flat reels..............
i remember those mate, think they had a clamp on 1 end for the drain channel and a suction cup on the other for the roof with a rubber strap to hold the rods.
had a pair on my marina, used to transport my matching pair of zziplex TT,s fully assembled and pose at the weigh ins ! lol those were the days.......A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts