World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about rope-cutters? :confused:
You know the kind that fit onto the prop to (theoretically?) prevent loose floating rope from gettin' tangled round it.....????
I have been wondering if it's possible or worthwhile looking into one for my main engine which is a Mariner Big Foot. I launch through a maze of moorings regularly and the thoughts of all that potentially loose rope gives me the eepy-creepies, but I really don't know much about them or their application.
Would a rope cutter be of any use and would it even fit, and how much and where from tips would be much-ly appreciated.
TIA , Breezy :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx ChrisP,

I read the earlier post re the cages which made me remember what someone had said to me about a rope cutter and this set me wondering (she was a yachtswoman though so maybe that's where the difference lies). Judging from the posts re the cage thingy's I think I'll just stick to my current safety device - vigilance and crossed fingers!! Possibly as effective and no doubt cheaper! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Fishy Finger, that looks most interesting, what do you reckon ChrisP?

I'll certainly contact the site and see what they have to say.

Thanx. :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Never heard of it but it does look interesting. I would be a concerned how it was fitted and depending on mateials used there may be some corrosion caused. May just be the best thing since sliced bread.

The question I would be asking is do I really need one, with an outboard you can tilt it to clear a fouled rope very easily. I think rope cutters are for shaft drives that you cannot clear unless you get in the water. Their underwater gear is strong enough to cope with the extra strain caused by a rope cutter chewing a rope. The leg of your outboard is alltogether different, ally construction for a start. I would be worried it could damage the gearbox housing and that it £1,200 of casing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers ChrisP,

more well considered food for thought,

I love the idea of them as I do have a bit of a 'rope phobia', but certainly do not wish to inflict any pain or damage (damage to my little pride and joy or pain in my pocket!!)

More research needed methinks. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently the outboard rope cutter "QuicKutter" is only available for the Suzuki/Johnson 4 stroke range 70-140Hp.
It operates on the same prinicipals as the shaft cutter, in that the cutting action is a shaving of debris so the loads are in engineering terms gradual. They have been thoroughly trialled on the Suzuki 90 and 115, easily chopping 12mm rope and line and they will not be adversly effected by fish hooks.
The material is cast Stainless 316l, with option of surface hardening, so there is no issue with corrosion as it is the same material as the shaft and casing bolts.
It is new thats why as yet not many UK boat owners will know much about it.
I hope this information helps, and doesn't get me removed for neing too commercial?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Tigs,welcome to the site.

Good to have your input, I agree if the materials used are 316 the anodes on the leg wll protect it, so that is one of my worries out of the way.

Does the exhaust ring have to be machined on the prop to take the ring against which the cutter acts? Also how is the cutter fixed to the prop leg and the ring fixed to the prop. Does fitting void manufacturers warranty?

Do you have plans to increase the range? For instance I have a Merc 90hp four stroke and would be interested in a cutter as my area is riddled with pots, lines and nets.

How about a full write up on the item including price for custom and self fit. I have the equipment to machine props so would be interested to know more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is getting my interest going again guys!
I had almost talked myself out of wanting one of these but now I am getting all curious again.
What are the chances of these becoming available/viable for my BigFoot?
(I am also fishing in Wales Chris and 'suffer' similarly with not just the moorings but also potters and netters ropes and lines, I don't have a problem with the pots or nets, just a fear of getting snared).

Cheers :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I picked up half a net & associated ropes last year, no way I could lift the engine to cut it free!
So No1 son was delegated to strip down to the "body locking" & given the filleting knife, & a rope under the armpits, despite his protests!
He had us free in no time, (the water is cold off Gower in November), & he soon got warm after I towelled him down, put him in my neoprene chesties, & made him a mug of drinking chocolate! Why do you need rope cutters, thats what kids are for ennit?
blueskip

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got dogs instead Blueskip, an' they're all paws and thumbs when it comes to filleting knives!! An' they wriggle summat rotten in chesties. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rope Cutters ?
Wusses. :D
Although I do don a dry suit before I hit the water ha haaaaaaaaaa
Sea between Aberdeen and Dundee is known to be a wee bit chilly at times :)

Harnessed to the boat, dry suit on, mask, snorkle, knife and over the side.
Sorts out all prop snarled ropes / lines etc etc.

Mind you the rope cutter may be cheaper than all the gear you need to go safely over the side....LOL

(I am only 60 - PLENTY time left to grow up)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are developing them for other outboard legs, but have had some problems with manufacturers not keen on bolting bits to existing mounting holes.

They have been developed by marine engineers and have been thoroughly proven, but from manufacturers point of view are still a bit of an unknown.

The end result is that it may take a little longer to get them accepted but they may be fitted as an option with the cutter licenced to manufacturers for them to include in the leg.

In the mean time any Suzuki 4stroke70-140 legs can fit them themselves, after a small alteration to the prop to take a sacrificial spool of composite material.

I'm as frustrated as the end users, we've had twin outboard rib rescue boats wanting them and Suzuki have reservations about warranty iussues. They can certainly do no more damage than a rope or wire can on an un-protected engine!
In practice they work and dont allow rope/line etc to wrap at all.

Its early days...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Doesn't anyone make a sort of bayonet attachment that could go on the end of a boathook. It could first be fitted with a curved very sharp bladed knife, to reach over and cut the fouling (providing you can tilt the engine up), then with some kind of scissory pliers thingy to grip and pull away the cut strands.

Would gaffertaping a carpet knife to the boathook avoid having to get in the water, or am I misunderstanding the problems that arise?
Mike (newbie)

T

·
0 Posts
Mike

You may just have found a new business opportunity for yourself!

Could be dangerous on a bobbing boat, but if you make them easily detachable so they can be stowed safely then sounds good to me.

...you could add other attachments such as a stiff brush for getting rid of scum and weed on the hull, a sponge for windows, etc etc.

Oooooh I can see £££££ before my eyes :clap3:

Mike, don't tell anyone else!!! :secret:

Tom

mikesands said:
Doesn't anyone make a sort of bayonet attachment that could go on the end of a boathook. It could first be fitted with a curved very sharp bladed knife, to reach over and cut the fouling (providing you can tilt the engine up), then with some kind of scissory pliers thingy to grip and pull away the cut strands.

Would gaffertaping a carpet knife to the boathook avoid having to get in the water, or am I misunderstanding the problems that arise?
Mike (newbie)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hi Tom,
A few years ago I used to spend hours inventing things for making the lives of microlight pilots easier/safer .... then found there was a total potential market of probably 3 items per year. Might be more mileage in the boat owning fraternity though :)
Mike

C

·
0 Posts
I always carry a few cable ties and in the event of a problem I can quickly fix my filleting knife to my Gaff handle. Probably not as quick as a rope cutter but has done the job on a couple of occasions.
Why not just lash a decent knife to an old broom handle but keep a cover on the knife until needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts