World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out with my dad again today (with my camera :D ).

We went back to Rosneigr beach armed with rag, macky and sandeel. I stuck to 3 hook flappers and a clip down pennel loaded with sandeel blast out as far as I could manage.
It was a bit flat, but there was some wave action, but it double just after a boat went went past :lmao:

The tide was a bit higher than that when we got there (fishing the ebb). My dad went for a wander but I stayed put plopping the flapper just behind those breakers I managed to dink out the smallest turbot I have ever seen caught :lmao:

But it counts, just after that my dad came over and muttered something about it being slow, I hadn't got my flounder but I figured the chance of a ray and ballan wrasse was too much so I suggested cable bay.

We got there and it was fairly empty. I set up a pulley pennel again loaded with sandeel and sent it as far as I could manage, with a small hook and rag close in. Whilst my dad stuck it out on the single 2/0 flapper and rag.

First blood went to me:

Then I got out a set of day glows and caught a 7" pollack followed by a 10" coalie (sorry no picture), before birdying my reel and loosing the set. After that on baits it was quiet bar the odd rattle. Then as the sun started to go down I managed a dog, which the dog liked , :rolleyes:

But dad was blanking until last cast, when a long spined scorpion fish saved him

It was a good day, but no rays, ballans or flounder. But nothing to worry about, there are plenty of them about :wink:

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Nice report Tozer and well done with the Turbot, you seem to be a bit of an expert on them lately :clap3: . I've fished Cymyran a few times for them but can't get one no matter how hard I try, any advice you could pass on would be very welcome. Keep up the good work.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
good skills Tozer.

Any tips for turbot greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erm I am not really an expert mate, alot of people have caught alot more than me!

The beachaes around Rosneiger hold loads of them, just don't cast far and fish when there is a bit of a surf. Then fish within or just behind the surf tables, works for flounder too.

But thanks, it was a good day.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
I was out with my dad again today (with my camera :D ).

We went back to Rosneigr beach armed with rag, macky and sandeel. I stuck to 3 hook flappers and a clip down pennel loaded with sandeel blast out as far as I could manage.
It was a bit flat, but there was some wave action, but it double just after a boat went went past :lmao:

The tide was a bit higher than that when we got there (fishing the ebb). My dad went for a wander but I stayed put plopping the flapper just behind those breakers I managed to dink out the smallest turbot I have ever seen caught :lmao:

But it counts, just after that my dad came over and muttered something about it being slow, I hadn't got my flounder but I figured the chance of a ray and ballan wrasse was too much so I suggested cable bay.

We got there and it was fairly empty. I set up a pulley pennel again loaded with sandeel and sent it as far as I could manage, with a small hook and rag close in. Whilst my dad stuck it out on the single 2/0 flapper and rag.

First blood went to me:

Then I got out a set of day glows and caught a 7" pollack followed by a 10" coalie (sorry no picture), before birdying my reel and loosing the set. After that on baits it was quiet bar the odd rattle. Then as the sun started to go down I managed a dog, which the dog liked , :rolleyes:

But dad was blanking until last cast, when a long spined scorpion fish saved him

It was a good day, but no rays, ballans or flounder. But nothing to worry about, there are plenty of them about :wink:
welldone tozer nice pics and report too.shaggy

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Thanks for that Tozer, those are the tactics we've been trying but so far no luck, we'll just have to keep trying.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres something though considering there are a fair few knocking about, how come you never heare of decent onese being caught around the island?
If you waid out you can see them darting about, but the only half decent ones I hear of are on the boats, or occasionally Cable bay/Ty Croes.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Funnily enough that sounds like Scotstown beach on the east coast of Scotland - rarely see a Turbot over a pound usually get a few up to maybe 3/4lb max.
One of the other guys on the Scottish forum (millser) caught one over 5LB - ate it and then discovered that he would have got the record LOL! but that was definitely a rarety.

My tactics for flounder and turbot from a flat beach is to use a non-grip type lead and reel in a couple of turns every couple of minutes. I think flatties respond to the movement. I also keep my rod low if poss because they need the bait to be on the bottom.
Not that I am an expert at catching them like but the theory sounds right to me (o;

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Great report and good array of species. Particularly enjoyed the Dog, Fish!!

Nothing for me here in Lowestoft (got on line for a short time!) but Cod to over 3lb are being caught - got 'til Sunday to get one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts